MunicipalNewsUpdate

UPDATE: Loss of homes could have been lessened – east building owner

VIDEO: “We called the Tshwane emergency services, but they only picked up on about the 12th call.”

The owner of a block of flats where a fire destroyed 10 units on Saturday says there could have been much less damage had Tshwane emergency services responded quickly.

Maarten Roosenschoon said 10 flats that had been housing families were burnt down during the fire and the families lost all their belongings.

“We called the Tshwane emergency services, but they only picked up on about the 12th call,” he said.

ALSO READ: Sunnyside fire leaves nearly 50 destitute

When the emergency services finally arrived, the fire hydrant did not pump water as the line had been closed by the Tshwane municipality due to water leakage.

Roosenschoon said their service left him “very disappointed”.

VIDEO:

“The fire started in the bedroom of a second floor flat,” he said.

“The son of the tenant alerted the mother that there was a fire in the bedroom, and she then alerted the caretaker.”

He said the fire had damaged electrical cables and water pipes to other apartments in the building, which resulted in more tenants being left homeless.

Roosenshoon said the tenants and their families were given alternative accommodation at other buildings, some of which he owned, while others remained at Lawhill.

“After confirmation from the emergency services chief and the insurance after the fire was put out, first-floor tenants were allowed back into the Lawhill building.”

Roosenschoon said the tenants had agreed to stay without water and electricity the first night.

The fire had left close to 50 people without a home.

An elderly woman who has lived there for 17 years was hospitalised after she suffered smoke inhalation.

ALSO READ: Pta residents urged to be vigilant this fire season

Roosenschoon said he was grateful that no one had lost their life.

Ward 77 councillor Anru Meyer said luckily the fire was contained in the top of the building before it could affect more people.

Ward 59 councillor Shaun Wilkinson said that when residents were helped with accommodation, some had disappeared.

“A few ran away, using the fire as an opportunity to skip paying a bill, while others might have been undocumented people, refugees or asylum seekers.”

Wilkinson said Roosenschoon and Meyer assisted as much as they could with alternative accommodation and food for those affected.

Roosenschoon said after talks with parties, it was established that the building would take five to six months to be completely repaired.

ALSO READ: NEWSFLASH: Chaos as bakkie catches fire on N1 north

Since the fire, various MMCs have pulled together to coordinate disaster relief for the affected families.

“The families will need some assistance. If members of the public are willing to give something that will help, they can contact me or Shaun Wilkinson,” Meyer said.

Meyer can be reached on 081-371-2956 and Wilkinson on 082-445-4375.

Second floor at Lawhill flats burns on Saturday. Photo: Supplied

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button