No arrest yet as CBD chaos continues
Streets closed are Madiba between Sisulu and Thabo Sehume until protesters disperse.
The Gauteng police have opened a case of public violence against the CBD protesters and have also promised to keep an eye on the protests.
Provincial Police spokesperson Captain Kay Makhubela said: “We are continuing to monitor the situation in the Pretoria CBD.”
Makhubela said since the police have learned that the protesters had set rubbish bins alight and promised arrests soon.
“Protesters on the wrong side of the law will be arrested,” said Makhubela.
Earlier the police were deployed in the city to monitor the situation.
“No arrest has been made yet,” he said.
This harassment, thuggery and criminality in the #PretoriaCBD must be brought to an end. Watch how this victim was shocked after this thug damaged her car in front of the @SAPoliceService Criminal record centre in Francis Baard st. @Abramjee @TMPDSafety @EMokgalapa @News24 pic.twitter.com/ZU3vExJA83
— Haroon Abramjee (@haroonabramjee) July 31, 2019
I feel sorry for people who stay in Pretoria CBD it’s so unsafe right now
— Pinky (@pinkymaila9) July 31, 2019
ALSO READ: UPDATE: Traffic CBD cleared as protesters await late meeting
Tshwane metro police spokesperson senior superintendent Isaac Mahamba said Madiba between Sisulu and Thabo Sehume remain closed till protesters disperse.
On Tuesday, the Tshwane municipality teamed up with the local taxi industry to remove city buses left behind by striking drivers in the Pretoria CBD the day before.
“We had been trying to move the buses barricading various intersections off the road,” said roads and transport MMC Sheila Senkubuge.
“However, it was tough going as the drivers put measures in place to make our job harder.”
The metro was assisted by both the local and Johannesburg metro police departments as well as the SAPS.
“The drivers not only left with the keys, but also disabled the buses. So even if we had spare keys, it was still difficult to start the buses to get them out of the way,” she said.
Despite this, Senkubuge said the city still managed to remove all 40 city buses used to block streets in the CBD.
“All the buses are back at the depo now; however, one or two of them had broken windscreens or damaged mirrors. Luckily, there wasn’t too much damage.”
Senkubuge said all the buses would remain at the depo under heavy guard for the duration of the strike.
“We are not running our usual routes as yet.”
She said municipal bus services have been suspended until further notice and advised commuters to use alternative transportation for the time being.
“We are awaiting the bargaining council to resolve the dispute between metro workers affiliated to the South African municipal workers’ union (Samwu) and the city.”
ALSO READ: UPDATE: Tshwane mayor says CBD protest action is ‘wrong’ and ‘illegal’
Senkubuge said she was confident the strike would end this week.
“We must just allow all the processes to take place.”
She said she appreciated the taxi industry’s part in restoring order in the CBD.
Tshwane metro workers have been striking since last week Thursday for the same 18% salary increase they claim senior officials got last year.
Striking workers also want the metro put a halt to outsourcing services.
They accused senior metro officials of increasing their salaries from R1.1-million to R1.9-million.
“These are people who earn a lot of money,” said Samwu regional secretary Mpho Tladinyan.
On Monday, the metro interdicted the union from continuing their “illegal” protest action in the CBD to no avail as protests continued.
Tshwane mayor Stevens Mokgalapa said the metro was open to engaging with striking employees on an appropriate and legitimate platform, namely the bargaining council.
ALSO READ: UPDATE: It’s back to normal as Tshwane buses returned to depot, easing city traffic
However, the mayor said he was “confused” why Samwu was “intent on causing chaos by avoiding approaching legislative instruments to bring an end to this impasse”.
“As a result, residents and the business community has been negatively affected due to all the disruptions.”
Mokgalapa said the protest was “an intolerable state of affairs”.
“The city is being held ransom by unscrupulous individuals,” he said.
He said criminal charges would be laid against instigators and strikers.
Mokgalapa also apologised to residents for the interruption in service.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
