Local newsNews

TUT students march against gender-based violence

Female students march to Soshanguve police to raise their anger over gender-based violence.

 

Female students from Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) Soshanguve campus took to the streets on Wednesday to voice their frustrations following the alleged rape of two fellow students last Wednesday.

Led by march convener and Pan Africanist Student Movement of Azania (PASMA) provincial leader, Twinky Nxumalo, the students marched to the Soshanguve police station.

The SA Students Congress (SASCO), Democratic Alliance Student Organization (DASO), SA Democratic Students Movement (Sadesmo) and Student Christian Organization (SCO) joined the march.

Female students from Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) Soshanguve campus march to Soshanguve police, to raise their anger over gender-based violence.

The students, some in black to symbolise mourning, others bare-breasted while others wore only bras, filled Aubrey Matlala road singing songs that asked men to stop violating them.

Nxumalo told Record that a week ago African Women’s Organisation (PAWO) at TUT Soshanguve campus invited her to speak at a Women’s Month event where she raised questions about the relevance of the commemoration while women were still being raped and killed.

“Comrades told me that their daughters were raped at the south campus that and that another student had committed suicide after she was assaulted,” said Nxumalo.

ALSO READ: TIPS: What to do during protest action

“They asked me what am I planning to do to an end the abuse of women so that when I met them next year I would tell them what to celebrate.”

Nxumalo said two days later she was told that another two students had been raped.

“The victim told me that three robbers were angry because she had nothing of value other than her phone, repeatedly raped her then forced her to knock on the door of another female student, whom they also raped” Nxumalo told Record.

Female students from Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) Soshanguve campus march to Soshanguve police, to raise their anger over gender-based violence.

Soshanguve police spokesperson Constable Portia Sebone said the police were investigating the rapes.

“A case of robbery and rape has been opened. We are continuing with the investigation. So far, no arrests have been made. The investigating officer is in contact with the victims,” said Sebone.

She said her police station had met the march leaders.

SASCO Women’s representative, Zandi Tshabalala, told the police that she too was a victim of violence.

“We need a desk at this police station that will be led by women. That way, victims of abuse would know where to go and they would feel comfortable talking to a fellow woman. When women report rape cases, they [the police] do not take us seriously,” said Tshabalala.

Sebone said a follow-up meeting between the two parties was scheduled for Friday 6 September 2019.

ALSO READ: Newsflash: Teacher at school one of arrested in Amy-Leigh kidnapping

She said the leaders had asked that the local ward councillor and CPF chairperson be invited to the meeting.

“The police promised that they would give feedback on the 17 rapes allegedly reported to the station this year,” added Sebone.

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East
Rekord North
Rekord Centurion
Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button