A man was shot and wounded in an attempted robbery at The Village restaurant in Hazelwood around midday on Sunday.
The man, whose age and identity was not yet known, was understood to have been on his way to an eatery when he was shot.
“We’ve opened an attempted murder docket for investigation,” police spokesperson Captain Daniel Mavimbela said.
Speaking to Rekord shortly after the incident, eyewitness Umayya Theba said those around “went into a tizzy” after the first two shots were fired.
“We initially thought it was fireworks but then everyone started running,” she said.
While she and her husband were sitting at a restaurant across the road, she said they too sought cover under tables and behind structures as they did not realise it was a “drive-by shooting”.
“We didn’t know it was drive-by shooting… we thought it was actually someone who was doing a mass shooting. “
When the shooting stopped, we got up and realised the man was shot outside an eatery,” Theba said, adding that around eight shots were fired.
ALSO READ: Cellphone snatcher attacks outside Hazelwood restaurant
In a brief statement on its social media page, The Village said: “The man has been taken to hospital and is in a stable condition.
“The security team and management of The Village say the suspect allegedly tried to rob the victim of a cellphone to which the man resisted and gunfire ensued.”
The statement went on to say the area had been cleared and “calm has been restored”.
“Police say the suspect has not been located and anyone with information may contact the Brooklyn police station on 012-366-1700.”
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
