Local newsNews

Repairs to disrupt power at Steve Biko

Contingency measures have been put in place to protect patients and minimise disruption to essential clinical services.

Steve Biko Academic Hospital is preparing to temporarily interrupt its electrical supply to levels 8 and 9 on Saturday, August 22, as part of planned repairs to its electrical infrastructure.

The interruption is scheduled to take place from 09:00 to 13:00 and will affect areas housing critical services, including Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Neonatal and Paediatric units.

The Gauteng Department of Health said the repairs are necessary to strengthen the hospital’s electrical supply system and ensure generators can automatically kick in within a few seconds when there is a municipal power interruption.

“This necessary intervention will ensure that when there is a power interruption from the municipality, generators will automatically take over power supply at the facility within a few seconds without unnecessary delays,” said Gauteng Department of Health spokesperson Steve Mabona.

The planned work follows an assessment by experts who identified additional changeover breakers requiring repairs.

The department said the intervention forms part of ongoing repairs and upgrades to the hospital’s electrical supply system, following a major changeover intervention undertaken in September 2025.

Six theatres, wards and critical care units on levels 8 and 9 will be affected during the approximately four-hour interruption.

The hospital has put contingency measures in place to ensure patient safety and continuity of essential clinical services during the work.

A multidisciplinary team comprising hospital management and clinicians began identifying high-risk patients earlier this week. Patients identified for relocation are being moved to appropriate and secure clinical areas within the hospital.

Patients receiving respiratory support will also be moved to suitable areas where their care can continue safely.

The movement of identified patients started on August 20 and is scheduled to be completed on August 21.

Thirty-three elective surgeries scheduled for the level 8 and 9 theatres on Friday have also been rescheduled as part of the contingency arrangements.

Emergency surgeries, however, will continue, with theatres on levels not affected by the electricity interruption remaining available for emergency procedures.

Mabona said the hospital’s clinical, infrastructure and support teams were working to ensure the intervention was implemented safely and with minimal disruption to patient care.

“Emergency clinical services will continue to be managed through the hospital’s contingency arrangements,” he said.

Although the electrical interruption is expected to last about four hours, the hospital is expected to take about 16 hours to return to normal operations.

The department explained that this extended period is necessary because patients who were relocated during the intervention will need to be moved back to their original spaces.

“The intervention is necessary to strengthen the hospital’s electrical infrastructure and Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) system, thereby reducing the risk of prolonged electricity disruptions that could affect the delivery of clinical services,” said Mabona.

The Gauteng Department of Health said it continues to prioritise the maintenance, upgrading and improvement of health infrastructure across the province.

The next planned intervention will take place at a later stage and will focus on level 6, which is the final level due for the intervention.

Members of the public requiring further information can contact Steve Biko Academic Hospital’s Patient Care Services on 012 354 1027.

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to bennittb@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram or TikTok or WhatsApp Channel

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button