Police were investigating a murder and attempted hijacking after an alleged hijacker was fatally wounded in a botched hijacking attempt along the Old Johannesburg Road, near the Voortrekker Monument on Thursday afternoon.
“We request members of the public with information that can assist in apprehending the suspects, to contact 08600-10111 or their nearest police station,” police spokesperson Captain Augustinah Selepe said.
This comes after five suspects, reportedly travelling in a red Toyota double cab, allegedly blocked off a grey Porsche Cayenne along the road.
“The suspects approached the driver of the Porsche. He immediately took out his firearm and shot one of the suspects,” Selepe said, adding that the remaining suspects reportedly drove off in the double cab.
“The suspect’s firearm and ammunition were discovered on the scene.”
ALSO READ: Alleged hijacker killed in botched hijacking
The firearm was expected to be taken for ballistic testing to ascertain whether or not it had previously been used in other crimes.
Meanwhile, ER24 spokesperson Ross Campbell said the deceased, believed to have been approximately 30-years-old, was found lying in the road in a “very critical” condition when they, the police and a number of private security services arrived at the scene at 18:38.
“His condition deteriorated rapidly and he unfortunately died. Paramedics declared him dead on the scene,” he said.
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!
