Local newsNews

Tshwane cemetery space still good for some years

This as Covid-19 related deaths continue to climb in the metro.

The Tshwane metro has assured residents that its cemeteries still had sufficient space for burials.

This comes in the wake of increasing Covid-related deaths in the metro.

On Sunday, 24 January 2021, the metro recorded 627 new cases of Covid-19 bringing the metro’s total to 100 525 cases. The metro has recorded a total of 2 319 Covid-19 related deaths.

Tshwane metro spokesperson Lindela Mashigo said there was an increase in the number of funerals taking place at the metro’s cemeteries, but assured residents that the cemeteries were not under any sort of pressure.

“From our analysis, we anticipate approximately 1 300 burial spaces demand for the month of January 2021,” he said.

“And there is sufficient space for this, should it happen.”

According to a report by the Tshwane metro, between 1-7 January the metro had 325 burials, between 8-14 January there were 546 burials and between 15-21 January there were 599.

The report indicated that some communities buried their members in community or tribal cemeteries. This is an old practice, especially in traditional/rural or tribal areas, putting less pressure on bigger cemeteries.

Mashigo said residents had nothing to worry about as space would be sufficient for some years.

He said the metro would, however, monitor the situation closely and make adjustments if the need arises.

“The demand for burial spaces has increased. That comes with further demands for logistics. But so far, we are coping and everything is under control,” he said.

“If the current rate of burial site needs continue for the next 12 months, we have sufficient burial spaces.

“We have ample space to accommodate burials for the next five years,” he said.

To ensure compliance at its burial sites, Mashigo said deployed teams of TMPD officers were stationed to ensure that among other things, not more than 50 people were attending per funeral.

“In addition, our admin support officers are always on site to assist with administrative compliance requirements,” he concluded.

* Notice: Coronavirus reporting at Caxton Local Media aims to combat fake news

Dear reader,

As your local news provider, we have the duty of keeping you factually informed on Covid-19 developments. As you may have noticed, mis- and disinformation (also known as “fake news”) is circulating online. Caxton Local Media is determined to filter through the masses of information doing the rounds and to separate truth from untruth in order to keep you adequately informed. Local newsrooms follow a strict pre-publication fact-checking protocol. A national task team has been established to assist in bringing you credible news reports on Covid-19.

Readers with any comments or queries may contact National Group Editor Irma Green (irma@caxton.co.za) or Legal Adviser Helene Eloff (helene@caxton.co.za).

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button