Contact sports dropped at school as Covid cases spike
“During the last week of Term 1, school sports activity related Covid-19 outbreaks in Gauteng Province were reported and have been gradually increasing in Term 2."
School contact sports activity has been suspended with immediate effect due to the rise in Covid-19 infections.
The announcement was made on Wednesday by education department spokesperson Elijah Mhlanga.
He said the council of education ministers had taken the decision to suspend all contact sports in schools with immediate effect.
In 2021, after the reopening of schools and consultations with education stakeholders, the department had gazetted directions allowing non-contact sport, sports-related activities and school-based art and cultural activities to resume without spectators, subject to adherence of safety measures.
Basic education minister Angie Motshekga had gazetted directions to resume school sports and extramural activities, non-contact sport, sports-related activities and school-based art and cultural activities, subject to health and safety protocols.
“During the last week of term 1, school sports activity related Covid-19 outbreaks in Gauteng province were reported and have been gradually increasing in term 2.
“It is evident that despite following the protocols as guided by the directions on extramural activities and standard operating procedure on the prevention, containment and management of Covid-19 in schools contact sports events still contribute to the spread of Covid-19.”
Mhlanga said the outbreak response team had also cited that the continuance close-contact sports was risky and, especially as the people did not live together.
“In this regard, all sporting activities have been suspended with immediate effect until the clusters outbreak is subsequently over with no further cases reported including the preparatory school sport.”
Mhlanga said the department would continue to monitor the situation.
“Non-contact sports training in schools can continue provided that all social distancing, hygiene and safety measures are observed and that there is no physical contact between participants during training,” Mhlanga said.
“A government gazette will be issued with the notice in the coming days.”
* Notice: Coronavirus reporting at Caxton Local Media aims to combat fake news
Dear reader,
As your local news provider, we have the duty of keeping you factually informed on Covid-19 developments.
As you may have noticed, mis- and disinformation (also known as “fake news”) is circulating online.
Caxton Local Media is determined to filter through the masses of information doing the rounds and to separate truth from untruth in order to keep you adequately informed.
Local newsrooms follow a strict pre-publication fact-checking protocol. A national task team has been established to assist in bringing you credible news reports on Covid-19.
Readers with any comments or queries may contact National Group Editor Irma Green (irma@caxton.co.za) or Legal Adviser Helene Eloff (helene@caxton.co.za).
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
