Robbery accused remains in police custody
During the robbery, the mall management quickly alerted the police and security at the mall.
A 44-year-old man accused of robbery was denied bail by the Mamelodi magistrate’s court on Tuesday.
Police spokesperson Captain Johannes Maheso said the accused was arrested for business robbery, possession of an unlicenced firearm and ammunition.
“The suspect was arrested last week Monday when he and his five accomplices were robbing a men’s clothing store at Denlyn mall in Mamelodi West,” said Maheso.
He said during the robbery, the mall management quickly alerted the police and security at the mall.
“They both reacted quickly and arrested one suspect, while others ran in different directions, leaving behind the white Toyota Quantum they arrived in. There was a car jammer inside it,” said Maheso.
The arrested suspect was found in possession of an unlicenced firearm and ammunition and a bag containing five stolen cellphones from a Markhams store.
Suspect Nhlanganiso Sibanda will remain in police custody before appearing again in the Mamelodi magistrate’s court on September 23.
“The police and security guards were commended for their quick response and swift arrest of the suspect,” he said.
ALSO READ: Cops make headway in ongoing probes
Denlyn mall centre management are yet to comment.
Maheso said anyone with information on the whereabouts of other alleged robbers who escaped may contact the police or Sergeant Sabasa on 082 461 6655 or 08600 10111.
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
