An 18-year-old young man was “flung in the air” after being hit by a vehicle in Villieria late on Wednesday night.
Cobus Malan was rushed to Life Eugene Marais hospital by his parents, René and Danie Malan, after the apparent hit-and-run.
His sister, Maryke Swart, said that the accident occurred between 23:00 and 23:30, on the corner of Pierneef Street and 29th Avenue in Villieria.
“Cobus and his friends were at a local restaurant in the Moot, just 3km from home. As they were making their way back, a white car ran into him,” she said.
ALSO READ: Pedestrian killed in suspected hit-and-run in Centurion
According to Swart, they managed to pick up pieces of the vehicle on the scene.
“We suspect that it might have been a (Toyota) Hilux bakkie, or a similar type of vehicle.
“We have the car’s bumper and side mirror,” she said.

Swart said they went to Villieria police on Thursday to open a case, but were advised that Cobus would have to come in himself, to make a statement as soon as he recovered.
ALSO READ: Hit-and-run truck leaves young north cyclist’s dream in tatters
Resident Corné van der Merwe had been in the house when she heard a loud bang.
“I ran outside and saw a person lying in the middle of the road in a pool of blood.
“His friends were hysterical and said that they were crossing the road when a car drove into him and his body was flung in the air,” she said.
Van der Merwe said that fortunately, Cobus was able to provide her with his parents’ contact details.
“It was one of the most difficult phone calls I had to make. I phoned his mum to inform her that her child had been involved in an accident.
“We immediately took a belt and tied it to his arm to stop the bleeding.
“His parents arrived on the scene minutes later and were able to take him to hospital,” she said.
She said that although there were (CCTV) cameras outside her house, they could not pick up the footage of the hit-and-run.
“It might have been damaged by the rain and thus we were not able to pick up the registration number.
“We hope that someone will have the guts to step forward and give the identity of the driver,” said Van der Merwe.
Cobus was discharged from hospital on Thursday. He is in a satisfactory condition.
Spokesperson of Villieria police, Warrant Officer Marinda Austin said that they are aware of the accident.
“We are busy with the investigation,” she said.
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
