CrimeLocal newsNews

East murder accused remains in police custody

The community members, together with school children, signed a petition and handed it over to the court demanding that the court should not grant bail against suspect.

A Mamelodi man accused of killing a six-year-old neighbour remains in police custody, after his case was postponed to February 7.

Tinyiko Shaun Sekwane (27) appeared in the Mamelodi magistrate’s court on January 27, as hundreds of community members held a demonstration, opposing his bail bid.

The community members, joined by schoolchildren, signed a petition and handed it over to the court demanding that the accused not be granted bail.

Community representative, Griffiths Madzivani said the court should not grant the suspect bail because “all hell would break loose”.

“We are here as the community to defend and fight for the safety of our children and permanently remove anyone preying on little children,” said Madzivani.

Madzivani said they would continue to support the family of the boy until justice prevailed.

The accused was arrested last year October after the gruesome discovery of the body of six-year-old Olwethu Zwane in Mamelodi East, section 17, whose lifeless body was found by the suspect’s uncle in a backyard room in a pool of blood along with a knife under the suspect’s bed at his (the suspect’s) grandmother’s house.

East murder accused remains in police custody
Angry residents outside the Mamelodi magistrate’s court.

This came after the Zwane family had been searching for the boy after they realised the child went missing while playing with friends not far from his home.

Mother, Nomsa Zwane (44) said the justice system should speed up the process and must begin with the trial.

She said this was the fifth time the accused appeared in court, since last year October.

“The trial should have started by now,” said Nomsa.

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button