CrimeNews

Firearms recovered as man arrested over GBV

Overall, more than 300 were arrested in police operations in the Tshwane district.

Police recovered two rifles, a handgun, a homemade gun and ammunition when they arrested an elderly Pretoria North man on a charge of domestic violence, among others, following a complaint earlier this week.

One of the rifles and the handgun had expired licences while the other rifle’s serial number was filed off, according to police spokesperson Captain Augustinah Selepe.

“The man (63) was charged with possession of unlicensed firearms and ammunition and domestic violence,” she said.

Another two people were also arrested in the Villieria area for attempted housebreaking after they were found in possession of an illegal firearm and housebreaking implements.

Meanwhile, more than 300 people were arrested during multidisciplinary operations led by various law enforcement agencies from Friday through to the early hours of Sunday.

“More than 380 persons were put behind bars,” she said.

Of those who were arrested, more than 235 were caught during high-density operations which focused on tracing wanted people between the Friday and the early hours of Saturday.

“Sixty-six of these suspects were cases of gender-based violence,” Selepe said.

Apart from the tracing of wanted people, others were arrested during roadblocks, stop-and-searches, compliance inspections and second-hand goods dealers and during raids at illegal liquor outlets.

Charges included possession of stolen and hijacked vehicles; possession of unlicensed firearms and ammunition; house robbery; assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm; selling alcohol without valid documents; common assault; malicious property damage; violation of protection orders; possession of dagga; possession of drugs; public violence; driving under the influence of alcohol; armed robbery and pointing of firearms.

“In total, the district closed 10 liquor outlets for selling alcohol without valid licensed documents including failure to comply with the Liquor Act,” she said.

Firearm seized. Photo: SAPS

A total of 16 people were also arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol while 46 others were arrested for consuming alcohol in public and 39 illegal foreign nationals.

They would be processed by the Department of Home Affairs.

“In addition, seven unlicensed firearms were confiscated during various operations,” Selepe said.

More than 700 were arrested during police operations in broader police operations across the province.

Acting provincial police commissioner Major General Girly Mbele said she welcomed these successes and appreciated all the stakeholders involved.

Members of the public can report crimes on the Crime Stop line 08600 10111. Alternatively, they can leave anonymous tip-offs on the MySAPS app that can be downloaded on any smartphone.

ALSO READ: Local organisation helps male victims of GBV

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button