CrimeNews

Four arrested, one injured in Lyttelton high-speed chase

In their attempt to escape, four suspects knocked over a motorcyclist close to the Jean crossing shopping centre.

Four suspected car thieves were arrested after a high speed chase in Lyttelton on Wednesday afternoon.

According to police spokesperson Captain Dave Miller the incident took place at around 12:30 when the crime prevention team of officers were patrolling in the Centurion CBD.

“They spotted a red Kia Sportage that had been circulated as being involved in theft of motor vehicles,” Miller said.

“When the police made a u-turn to investigate the suspect vehicle, it immediately started to speed away, skipping red traffic lights, stop streets and driving in the oncoming lane.”

The police then called for backup and continued to chase the vehicle.

Miller said the speeding suspects displayed no regard for other road users and caused various accidents as they attempted to escape.

“During the chase, the suspects were driving on the wrong side of the road close to the Jean crossing shopping centre where they knocked over a person on a motorcycle.”

“At this stage the police had to resort to advanced tactical measures to stop the suspects from causing further accidents or even injuring road users and community members.”

The vehicle was eventually stopped and the four suspects immediately taken into custody.

Miller said preliminary investigations on the scene suggested that the vehicle was using false registration plates.

“It was also established that it was the same vehicle that was involved in an attempted hijacking earlier in the morning in Pretoria north.”

The suspects will be charged with attempted murder, reckless and negligent driving, and possession of car break-in implements.

Further investigations will look into the possibility of linking the suspects to other cases.

Miller said detective services would follow up on all leads.

“The station commander Brigadier Matlala has thanked the police for the outstanding work they did, and for going above and beyond the call of duty.

“We would also like to thank all the private security companies that assisted,” he said.

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button