Actor’s murderer dumps lawyer ahead of sentencing, case postponed yet again
“The matter was postponed to May 4 because the accused no longer wanted his attorney to represent him.”
The sentencing of Julius Lucas, who was found guilty of murdering actor Sibusiso Khwinana in February, was unable to proceed in the North Gauteng High Court earlier this week.
The 36-year-old dumped his Legal Aid South Africa attorney as sentencing proceedings were expected to get underway on Wednesday.
“The matter was postponed to May 4 because the accused no longer wanted his attorney to represent him and Lucas would not give him further instruction to proceed with the matter,” NPA spokesperson Lumka Mahanjana said.
Lucas was also found guilty on charges of robbery with aggravating circumstances and contravening the Immigration Act.
The Swahili-speaking foreign national said he was not happy with the conviction.
The consequences of his decision were subsequently explained on record.
Judge Portia Phahlane also explained the implications of the decision along with how it would affect the finalisation of the matter.
The state prosecutor further said that “justice delayed is justice denied”.
“In as much as the NPA would like to finalise this matter and provide closure for the family, the state cannot oppose the accused’s request and will rely on the court’s decision,” Mahanjana said.
ALSO READ: Actor Sibusiso Khwinana murderer’s case postponed
During the previous court appearance on March 28, the Matwetwe lead actor’s uncle Benjamin Khwinana said the family were disappointed by the postponement. They hoped that it would have been the last day of the matter so that they could “move on” from the then 25-year-old’s brutal murder.
He added that they were happy with the guilty verdict “even though [Lucas] didn’t admit to the murder”.
This court appearance was postponed over the non-availability of a Swahili-speaking translator.
In court, the translator was said to have been attending a course on the date.
Khwinana, who co-starred in the movie Matwetwe as Lefa alongside Tebatso Mashishi who played the role of Papi, was stabbed to death in a robbery at the corner of Pretorius and Steve Biko streets in March 2019.
Khwinana and Lucas wrestled for the phone before Lucas stabbed him with a sharp object in his upper body.
The actor and his uncle were understood to have been attending a screening of the movie before the fatal robbery occurred.
The postponement of the matter was granted for Legal Aid South Africa to make a decision.
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
