CrimeLocal newsNews

Pretoria family unhappy as double murder suspect still at large months after escaping from police custody

Double murder suspect Mohammed Nassir and three other suspects remain on the run after they escaped from the Mahwelereng police station holding cells on September 26, 2021.

A Pretoria family said they were unhappy that the man suspected of killing an eight-month-old baby and her mother was still at large after he escaped from police holding cells several months ago.

Mohammed Nassir (30), a Bangladeshi national investigated for the murder of baby Tasneem and mother Chantelle Ash, is still on the run after escaping from Mahwelereng police station cells with three other prisoners on September 26, 2021.

Nassir escaped after he was arrested on January 21, 2021, and charged with the murders of his wife and baby.

Chantelle and baby Tasneem were strangled to death. Their bodies were found in a state of decomposing by the staff of a lodge on the R518 road between Mokopane and Marken near Masodi village in Polokwane on January 14, 2021, two days after they booked a room with Nassir on January 12.

Mohammed Nassir escaped from police custody after being arrested for double murder Photo; SAPS media

Speaking to Rekord, Chantelle’s mother, Annie said, the family was disappointed in the police.

“As a family, we feel that the police are not doing enough to find him,” Annie said.

“Look at the murder in Nelspruit of the daughter of EFF leader [former general-secretary Godrich Gardee]. Within a week they captured all the suspects.

“In our case, we feel the police have not done enough.”

Annie said her family was traumatised by the gruesome murder adding that “every time I hear his [Nassir’s] name I want to cry”.

Although there have been no findings published by the police on how the suspects escaped, Annie said she was informed by the police that the prisoners managed to break a cracked lock of the cell and escaped through the station’s roof.

“I feel very unhappy. My heart is very sore and broken.”

Annie said the husband of her late daughter has not tried to make contact with her after he escaped. The last contact he made was on January 13, a day after the gruesome murder.

“I called him on January 13 [2021] to ask how they are because I struggled to get hold of my daughter for days. He told me that Chantelle and Tasneem were fine. Which was a lie because they were murdered the previous day [January 12].”

ALSO READ: Family recalls events leading up to double murder of mother and child

Chantelle Ash and baby Tasneem Photo; Supplied

Annie said days before her grandchild and daughter’s bodies were found, the people who stayed with Nassir and Chantelle told her the couple fought “and her phone was damaged in that fight. That is why I could not get hold of her”.

Since the murders, Annie said she was prescribed anti-depressants to cope, “I am still on medication just to calm me”.

Chantelle’s 20-year-old brother, Wayne, was also struggling to cope with the loss.

“He misses his sister a lot, some days he is okay and others he is struggling a lot. He is on a roller-coaster of emotions,” she said.

She appealed again to the public for help in locating Nassir adding that “I believe he is still in the country”.

“If anyone sees him, we are pleading as a family to report his whereabouts to the police.”

Police spokesperson Brigadier Motlafela Mojapelo confirmed that Nassir was still on the run; however, he could not furnish Rekord with other responses on the findings of the investigations on how the suspects managed to escape.

The police indicated last year that there was an investigation to probe how the suspects escaped, but the findings are yet to be announced.

Anyone with information can contact Crime Stop number 08600 10111 or the nearest police station or MySAPSApp.

ALSO READ: Double murder suspect of baby and mother still on the run after police cell escape

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button