Local newsNews

Tshwane employees return to work after ‘dismissal error’

Tshwane had dismissed close to 200 employees, however a large portion have been reinstated after they were fired due to various charges in violent strikes that disrupted metro operations.

Tshwane has reinstated 81 of its 123 dismissed employees who were found to be participating in the unprotected strike in recent months.

The throng of employees was reinstated after Tshwane took note of an error that occurred during the processing of their dismissals.

The metro dismissed almost 200 employees since August.

The Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA) has since intervened in the Tshwane versus staff stalemate in a bid to smooth over the dispute about salary that started on July 24.

Tshwane spokesperson Selby Bokaba confirmed that 81 employees previously dismissed have been reinstated and “42 remain dismissed”.

Bokaba said an error in the dismissal process led to their reemployment.

“There was an error which occurred during the processing of their dismissals, which has been rectified. We will, in due course, announce the steps we’ll be taking to address what gave rise to this.”

Forty-two remain dismissed

He said the 42 employees remain dismissed based on the charges against them and vacancies that arose as a result of the strike would remain advertised as planned.

Bokaba said services were expected to soon reach normality.

Tshwane had witnessed slow service delivery as employees were violently attacked, and vehicles and buses torched, leaving them frightened to action their contractual duties.

“Service delivery has returned to normal. Buses are operating at full capacity, electricity and water teams are back at work and waste collection is almost more than 95% back to normal.

“By next week, waste collection will be 100% back to normal schedule.”

Tshwane EFF chairperson Obakeng Ramabodu welcomed the reinstatement.

“We stand unwavering in our commitment to championing the rights of workers in the municipality. Our fight is far from over as we call on the metro to recall the remaining 45 employees who have also been unjustly removed from their positions,” Ramabodu said.

“The reinstatement is a significant victory that showcases our relentless pursuit of justice. We firmly believe that every worker deserves fair treatment and protection against arbitrary dismissal.”

EFF commends the CCMA

He said the EFF commended the CCMA for its role in facilitating negotiations between key stakeholders, including the mayor, Imatu and Samwu, regarding salary increases.

“These negotiations are crucial in finding a sustainable solution that addresses worker concerns while considering the financial constraints faced by the municipality.”

He said the current negotiations and reinstatement signified a positive step towards resolving the impasse and finding a fair resolution.

Tshwane coalition spokesperson Dr Cornè Mulder said the coalition oversight group (Cog) held a meeting, to receive a progress report in terms of the labour relations in the municipality.

“The feedback received was that CCMA-facilitated talks are underway between Tshwane and representatives of the Samwu and Imatu.

“The metro and the unions have agreed to protect the integrity of the talks by allowing the CCMA to communicate on their collective behalf and, as such, we will not ventilate these matters as a multi-party coalition.”

Mulder said the CCMA engagements were a positive step in gaining labour and financial stability.

ALSO READ: Chaotic municipal strike ‘finally over’

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button