News

Another missed deadline for delayed bus route project

Residents and businesses demand answers as delays, losses and disruptions continue along Lynnwood Road.

The Tshwane metro has missed yet another deadline for the completion of the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Line 2B project, with residents and businesses in Pretoria east now demanding urgent answers

The project runs along Lynnwood Road from the N1/Atterbury interchange towards the Pretoria CBD. It was previously expected to be completed by March, already a revised deadline, more than a year later than the original November 2024 target.

However, with construction still incomplete and visible progress limited in several sections, frustration is mounting among affected stakeholders.

Ward 82 councillor Siobhan Muller said the ongoing delays are having a devastating impact on the community.

“We, the businesses and residents of Pretoria east, demand answers to the number of questions regarding the mess along Lynnwood Road for the construction of Line 2B of the BRT,” Muller said.

“The enormous impact on students at the University of Pretoria, scholars at multiple schools, parents, drivers, businesses and even job losses cannot be ignored.”

Muller said several businesses along key routes have suffered severe financial losses due to prolonged construction disruptions.

“Despite numerous meetings and promises, businesses at the Shell corner of Lynnwood and Church streets, Lynnpark Shopping Centre, Roper Street at the University of Pretoria, and many others are facing substantial financial impacts, resulting in job losses,” she said.

“Some have been impacted for almost a year, to the extent of up to [a] 50% loss of income.”

She added that some affected parties are now considering legal action against the metro.

Muller stated that they are all demanding answers as to when the project will be finalised.

Concerns have also been raised about the work pace on site, with residents questioning why a multi-million rand project appears to have limited manpower.

“There are questions about why, on a project of this size, there are only a handful of people actually on site, why construction is being done by a small group, and why the project is taking so long,” she said.

“There are also concerns about the competency of contractors, consultants and city officials, and the broader cost implications of these delays.”

BRT Line 2B contract manager Isabella Khorommbi confirmed that a further extension has been approved, with a new completion deadline set for October 16.

She indicated that delays are not solely the contractor’s fault, noting that ongoing co-ordination and operational challenges are discussed regularly with metro stakeholders.

“It cannot be extended without the city being aware of the challenges that we have on the ground, because we have project meetings every day and every night, and we have ongoing engagements on site,” she said.

Khorommbi also acknowledged the concerns raised by residents and businesses but maintained that processes are being followed to ensure completion of the project.

The delays come despite earlier assurances from the metro that the project was progressing.

In January, metro spokesperson Lindela Mashigo attributed delays to issues such as wayleave approvals, expropriation processes, access to affected areas, underground services and additional stormwater requirements.

He also said communication regarding traffic disruptions was being managed through a Community Liaison Officer.

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to bennittb@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram or TikTok or WhatsApp Channel

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Pamela Vuba

Pamela is a junior journalist at Rekord who focuses on community news in Pretoria, particularly in the eastern parts of the capital city. Pamela writes for the Pretoria East Rekord as well as Rekord’s online platforms.
Back to top button