News

Kentron substation refurbishment completed to boost Centurion power capacity

The refurbishment of the Kentron substation is complete, restoring capacity after fire damage and supporting growing electricity demand. The upgrade will enable additional supply for developments in the Centurion CBD and Highveld, with only minor paving work outstanding.

The Tshwane metro has reached a major milestone in stabilising electricity supply and supporting new developments in the Centurion CBD and Highveld areas with the completion of the Kentron substation refurbishment.

This project will enable the metro to provide additional electricity capacity for the region’s growing needs.

According to metro spokesperson Lindela Mashigo, the Kentron substation refurbishment has been fully completed, with the contractor and the city signing off on the project certificate in February.

“There is only minor outstanding work related to the paving of the entrance driveway, which the contractor is addressing as part of the snag list,” said Mashigo.

“The Kentron substation project is now 100% complete and carries no risks.”

Mashigo explained that R1-million from the metro’s 2025/26 adjustment budget has been allocated to cover contract price adjustment claims for the completed work and final paving of the entrance driveway, effectively closing out the project.

“The refurbishment has restored the substation’s capacity to 120MVA after a fire had previously reduced it to 40MVA. This enhancement will allow the city to accommodate new developments around the Centurion CBD and Highveld areas,” Mashigo added.

Entance to the Kentron substation. Image: X/@nasiphim

While the Kentron substation refurbishment is complete, Mashigo provided an update on the Monavoni substation, which is still under construction and currently 75% complete.

The project, with a total budget of R30-million for the current financial year, has spent just over R19.2-million so far. The remaining funds are earmarked for completing critical outstanding work.

Mashigo explained that the remaining work includes building finishes such as electrical wiring, plus floor finishes with epoxy paint and plumbing, as well as the installation and termination of cables.

Further tasks involve testing and commissioning of 11kV switchgear panels, high-voltage yard equipment, and 132kV control and protection panels.

In addition, the installation and swing-over of supply cables to new equipment, paving of the internal substation roads, and connection of the 132kV power line into the facility still need to be completed.

He further noted that the contractor has requested an extension of time to complete the project. This request is currently under review by the bid adjudication committee and the city manager.

“The extension is being considered on a month-to-month basis for a period not exceeding six months, until September 30, 2026,” he explained.

As a result, the initially planned completion date of March this year was revised.

Mashigo confirmed that the Monavoni substation is now expected to be completed no later than September.

Despite the delay, Mashigo assured residents that no major risks have been identified that would prevent the contractor from completing the project within the revised timeframe.

Metro officials at the Kentron substation, including Tshwane mayor, Dr Nasiphi Moya (third from right) and MMC Alderman Hannes Coetzee (far right). Image: X/@nasiphim

“Once completed, the Monavoni substation will supply electricity to new developments in the area. The city has already received connection requests for new developments exceeding 15MVA, which depend on the completion of this substation,” he said.

Additionally, the operational substation will relieve pressure on the Brakfontein substation by transferring the load of the Heuweloord Satellite Substation to Monavoni.

The update builds on the metro’s announcement in February, when the Council adopted the 2025/26 adjustment budget and allocated R109-million towards strengthening critical electricity infrastructure.

Of this, R11-million was earmarked for the Monavoni and Kentron substations, with R10-million allocated to Monavoni and R1-million to Kentron.

The broader electricity budget also includes R11-million for strengthening 11kV cable networks, R6-million for secondary substation upgrades, R5-million for replacing obsolete equipment, R10-million for new electricity connections, and R27-million for reducing electricity distribution losses.

The Kentron substation. Image: X/@nasiphim

At the time, the municipality said these interventions would improve grid resilience, reduce outages, and shorten restoration times.

The Kentron substation is set to deliver on its objectives. It will restore lost capacity and stabilise supply in key parts of Centurion.

Meanwhile, the Monavoni project continues to advance towards completion. It remains essential to meet growing demand and enable further development in the area.

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to bennittb@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram or TikTok or WhatsApp Channel

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Tshiamo Boikhutso

Tshiamo is a junior journalist focusing on community news in Pretoria, particularly in the Centurion area. Tshiamo writes for the Centurion Rekord as well as Rekord’s online platforms.
Back to top button