News

Illegal occupation along Van Der Hoff Road prompts action

Safety and environmental concerns are mounting as informal structures spread along Van Der Hoff Road. The metro says it's exploring all social and legal intervention options to deal with the occupying vagrants.

The Tshwane Metro has recently stated its intention to work with various stakeholders to address the illegal occupation of municipal land along Van Der Hoff Road, near the old Transnet railway lines, following multiple complaints from residents.

Residents living in and around the area say they are subjected to illegal dumping, open-air pollution from fires, noise pollution, increased break-ins, and a litany of other complaints associated with displaced persons setting up informal structures along the large stretch of road.

Ward 1 councillor Leon Kruyshaar said he has received several complaints from residents demanding law-enforcement interventions to address the issue.

“Residents are becoming increasingly concerned about the illegal occupation of the Transnet railway reserve in Daspoort, adjacent to Van der Hoff Road. Numerous illegal structures have been erected, and individuals are now residing among the trees.

“Fires are regularly made, and various materials, including electrical cables and other scrap, are being burnt to recover metal for sale to local recycling and scrap dealers.

“These activities create significant environmental pollution, increase the risk of veld fires, attract criminal activity, and contribute to the ongoing deterioration of the Hercules and Ward 1 area,” Kruyshaar said.

Kruyshaar believes that the metro, TMPD and SAPS also have responsibilities regarding by-law enforcement, public safety, illegal dumping, environmental offences and criminal activities.

Hercules Sector 2 operations co-ordinator Johan Cloete has expressed similar concerns about the same stretch of road near the old railway lines. In a previous complaint written to the metro, he described the area as a danger to the community.

“The canal running from the railway line in Malie Street north through Booysens and surrounding railway area is severely overgrown, bushy and filled with dirt and waste, creating a serious danger to the community,” Cloete said.

“We had a tragic incident where a person was attacked and stabbed with a knife in May. According to residents, the suspects fled into the overgrown section of the canal. The victim was transported to hospital but sadly later succumbed to his injuries.”

He said the current condition of the canal and railway area provides cover for criminals to hide. He claimed it directly contributes to crime and unsafe conditions.

“Residents are living in fear and feel that the lack of maintenance and service delivery is worsening the situation. The community of Ward 55 can no longer continue losing lives due to neglect and poor maintenance of public spaces,” Cloete added.

Cloete said the community urgently requests and demands that the municipality immediately clear the canal and surrounding area, remove all overgrown plants and then secure both the canal and railway areas.

They also demand co-operation between the metro and the community to restore safety in the area, and regular inspections and maintenance of security measures.

Tshwane Metro spokesperson Lindela Mashigo said the municipality is well aware of the ongoing issue regarding the displaced people and said the metro is taking steps to address it.

“A city social worker visited the site on August 7 to assess the circumstances and engage directly with the people occupying the area.

“The site had also previously been identified as one of the hotspots during the Tshwane Homeless Count conducted in March. The people currently occupying the site have erected makeshift structures which are being used as shelters,” Mashigo said.

Lack of maintenance and service delivery contributes to residents’ fears.

He added that the metro remains committed to responding to homelessness in a caring, humane and responsible manner.

Working in partnership with non-profit organisations (NPOs) and the Gauteng Department of Social Development, the city facilitates access to shelters and a range of social support services for people experiencing homelessness.

“These services are available to people experiencing homelessness, including those currently occupying the area along the old railway lines on Van der Hoff Road.

“City social workers have visited the site, engaged with the occupants, assessed their circumstances and offered them access to available shelter and related social support services.

“During the engagement, however, the occupants indicated that they were not willing to relocate to the available shelters,” Mashigo added.

The metro said it will continue engaging relevant stakeholders and affected individuals in pursuit of a lawful, humane and sustainable solution.

“The city respects the rights and dignity of people experiencing homelessness while also recognising the need to address unlawful occupation responsibly.

“Admission to homeless shelters is voluntary and cannot be imposed on individuals. Where occupation of land is unlawful and eviction or relocation becomes necessary, the city is required to follow the applicable legal processes, including obtaining a court order where required,” Mashigo said.

Watch here:

@leonkruyshaar13

Here’s a refined community notice, followed by official contact details residents can use to lodge formal complaints. ILLEGAL OCCUPATION OF THE TRANSNET RAILWAY RESERVE – DASPOORT / VAN DER HOFF ROAD Residents are becoming increasingly concerned about the illegal occupation of the Transnet railway reserve in Daspoort, adjacent to Van der Hoff Road. Numerous illegal structures have been erected, and individuals are now residing amongst the trees. Fires are regularly made, and various materials, including electrical cables and other scrap, are being burnt to recover metal for sale to local recycling and scrap dealers. These activities create significant environmental pollution, increase the risk of veld fires, attract criminal activity, and contribute to the ongoing deterioration of the Hercules and Ward 1 area. The railway reserve falls under the responsibility of Transnet, while the City of Tshwane, TMPD and SAPS also have responsibilities regarding by-law enforcement, public safety, illegal dumping, environmental offences and criminal activities. I urge all residents to continue reporting these incidents to the relevant authorities and the media. Persistent reporting places the necessary pressure on the responsible authorities to take coordinated action. Please include the exact location, photographs where possible, dates and times, and request a reference number for every complaint. Regards, Cllr Leon Kruyshaar Ward 1 Important contact details Transnet General enquiries: 0800 003 056 Email: info@transnet.net City of Tshwane Customer Care Tel: 012 358 9999 Toll-free: 080 111 1556 Email: customercare@tshwane.gov.za � Tshwane +1 City of Tshwane By-law Enforcement Email: bylawenforcementcenter@tshwane.gov.za (or bec@tshwane.gov.za) � Tshwane Tshwane Metro Police Department (TMPD) 24-hour Control Room: 012 358 7095 / 012 358 7096 � Tshwane +1 Hercules SAPS Emergency: 10111 Hercules SAPS Charge Office: 012 373 9000 #hercules #saps #transnet #tmpd #vagrancy @rekordpretoria @DA MOOT @Citizen News @news_liveSA

♬ original sound – Ward Councillor Leon Kruyshaar

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to bennittb@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram or TikTok or WhatsApp Channel

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Manna Maurice

Manna Maurice is a content writer and photographer currently working as a journalist for the Pretoria Rekord newspaper. He covers stories affecting Pretoria residents specifically in the West and Central. Manna has been part of the Rekord team since July 2022. He has a BA degree in Journalism from the University of Johannesburg and an Honours degree in Media Studies from Unisa.
Back to top button