Suspect’s plea leads to his downfall, court finds him guilty on multiple charges
The man's mixed plea and testimony ultimately led to his undoing, as they were full of inconsistencies.
A 30-year-old man was found guilty by the Pretoria North Magistrates’ Court on charges of rape, housebreaking with intent to rape, sexual assault, robbery and theft.
The charges include the rape of an 11-year-old girl.
The case stems from a harrowing incident on October 18, 2023 in an Annlin apartment complex. The court’s proceedings revealed a meticulous examination of evidence that ultimately dismantled the accused’s defence.
NPA spokesperson, Lumka Mahanjana, said the trial proceedings began with the man entering a mixed plea.
Lumka said the accused admitted guilt to the theft charge, confessing that he had climbed through an open bedroom window of one apartment to steal a bag containing clothes for his personal use.
“However, he vehemently denied the more serious allegations, pleading not guilty to rape, sexual assault, housebreaking with intent to rape, and robbery.
“In his testimony, the man presented a controversial narrative, claiming the young victim had been trained to fabricate the rape accusation. This defence strategy aimed to cast doubt on the child’s credibility, but it would prove to be his undoing as the court scrutinised inconsistencies in his account,” said Mahanjana.
State prosecutor Hanlie du Preez led a robust prosecution, building a compelling case through a combination of witness testimonies, corroborating reports, and forensic evidence.
Central to the proceedings was the testimony of the 11-year-old victim, delivered through an intermediary to protect her from the trauma of direct confrontation.
Mahanjana said the child recounted the terrifying sequence of events, including hearing a noise in her apartment, encountering the man after he exploited a faulty door to gain entry, and being forced into the bathroom where the assault and rape occurred.
She said the victim was able to flee to a neighbour’s apartment, where she sought help in contacting her mother.
“This escape led to the man’s immediate apprehension by a resident who chased and detained him until police arrived.”
Du Preez called two other complainants, whose testimonies aligned with the victim’s narrative, providing corroboration on the sequence of break-ins and thefts in the complex.
Reports from the scene, including details of the stolen bag and the faulty door, further strengthened the state’s position.
The prosecution emphasised the vulnerability of the child and the premeditated nature of the crimes, arguing that the man’s actions violated fundamental rights to dignity and privacy as protected by the constitution.
Magistrate Piet Nel’s judgment was delivered after careful deliberation on the reliability of the witnesses.
He praised the child’s testimony as consistent and credible, noting her bravery in reliving the ordeal.
Nel highlighted contradictions in the man’s statements, such as discrepancies in his timeline and motivations, which undermined his version of events.
“The accused’s account is not reasonably, possibly true,” stated Nel.
Mahanjana hailed the conviction as a victory against gender-based violence.
She said such outcomes send a strong message to society to report sexual violence promptly.
“All cases of sexual violence encroach on the rights to dignity and privacy,” she said.
The case has been postponed to October 20 for sentencing.
ALSO READ: Sinoville residents demand real solutions as leaks persist after millions spent on repairs
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to bennittb@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram or TikTok.
