Local news

New Highveld water pipe project in the works

Residents say they are tired of waiting for the repairs as low pressure and dry taps continue.

The metro says it is working to finalise an agreement with a developer to construct a new 450mm steel pipeline at the Hennops River crossing.

The repairs for the Highveld water pipe have been a long time coming.

The project, once completed, is expected to provide a solution to the repeated failures of the existing pipe, which have left many residents without a reliable water supply.

Metro spokesperson, Lindela Mashigo, confirmed that the agreement has not yet been concluded.

“The city is working on finalising an agreement with a developer to construct a new 450mm steel water pipe that will help ease the current water supply challenges in Highveld,” he said.

According to Mashigo, the situation is especially precarious for residents in high-lying areas.

He said on September 5, the area and some streets were experiencing low water pressure, including the Southdowns Residential Estate and the Southdowns Shopping Centre.

“Residents in higher-lying streets are most affected due to demand exceeding available supply,” he added.

Mashigo encouraged residents to use water sparingly to ease pressure on the system.

He highlighted steps that residents should take, including taking shorter showers, closing taps while brushing teeth, checking toilets for leaks, reusing grey water, and avoiding the use of hosepipes for car washing.

He also urged residents to report leaks, bursts, and wastage to the metro.

“By conserving water, residents in lower-lying areas can assist those living in higher areas who are most affected by the shortages,” he said.

Southdowns Estate resident Paul Johnson said the ongoing delays have left residents frustrated.

“It’s extremely frustrating that after so many months, we are still talking about agreements instead of solutions. Our families are the ones who suffer every time there’s no water,” he said.

Johnson added that while many households have adjusted by storing water and cutting back on usage, the uncertainty has become a daily burden.

“We’ve had to completely change our routines, from cooking to bathing. People here have been patient, but we feel let down when progress keeps being pushed back,” he said.

This latest update comes after Rekord reported last month that residents in Highveld would have to wait longer for a permanent fix to the steel water pipe. The pipe has repeatedly failed at the Hennops River crossing, causing water supply disruptions in the area.

Mashigo confirmed then that, while an interim solution had been in place since May, the final repairs were delayed.

“As an interim measure, water supply was restored through a ring feeder system and by isolating the leaking line on both sides. This temporary solution ensured that all residents continued to receive water while a long-term plan was being developed,” said Mashigo.

He said that planning for the long-term solution began on May 20, with construction initially set to conclude by August 8. Progress milestones included the procurement of pipes and fittings by the developer, the approval of construction drawings, and the submission and approval of the wayleave application.

“Unfortunately, the project has experienced a delay. This is due to ongoing negotiations around the Service Level Agreements (SLAs) between the developer and the city, which need to be finalised before construction can proceed,” he said.

Mashigo noted at the time that the metro understands the urgency of the project.

“We are committed to keeping residents updated as progress continues and will share further information in due course.”

He also expressed gratitude to residents for their patience and understanding during this time.

The delay came after earlier assurances from MMC for Corporate and Shared Services, Kholofelo Morodi, who told residents in May that the metro was firmly committed to ensuring a reliable and sustainable water supply for all Highveld residents. At the time, she acknowledged that the disruptions were caused by the major breakdown of the 450mm steel pipe supplying the area.

Morodi explained that the metro was implementing both short- and long-term solutions to resolve the crisis.

“As an interim measure, the city has begun constructing a temporary 60m bypass that will link the sectioned-off part of the 450mm steel pipe across the river,” she said.

For a more permanent fix, Morodi said the metro would relocate a 200m portion of the 450mm steel pipe out of the riverbed. She said this solution aims to enhance the network’s resilience.

“This project includes the installation of a new galvanised 450mm steel pipe as well as the construction of scour valve chambers to protect the infrastructure.”

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to bennittb@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram or TikTok.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button