Local sportSport

Hunt for British & Irish Lions tour tickets starts early in September 2020 already

The availability of tickets to the local public for matches during next year's British and Irish Lions tour will, for the first time ever, only be available through a ballot process that will be operated online.

Tickets next year’s British & Irish Lions tour will be available from 2 September following SA Rugby’s announcement of the prices and ballot process on earlier this week.

The eight-match tour, which stretches across six cities over five weeks and kicks off in Cape Town on 3 July 2021, has tickets available for public sale.

Ticket prices for matches against the Stormers at Cape Town Stadium, the Sharks at Kings Park and the Bulls at Loftus Versfeld range in price from R250 to R600.

Tickets for mid-week matches against a SA Invitational team in Port Elizabeth and against SA ‘A’ at Mbombela Stadium are even cheaper ranging from only R100 to R350.

The cheapest Test match ticket is R500 – less than the price of a ticket to a 2019 Springbok Test – and increases to R1 250 and R2 000 to the top-priced ticket of R3 000.

“The British & Irish Lions are unique in that they visit South Africa only once every 12 years, and we look forward to welcoming their thousands of fans to some warm South African hospitality,” said Jurie Roux, CEO of SA Rugby.

Roux said that it was critical for South Africans to note that there was only one route to secure tickets – by entering the ballot on www.lionstour2021.co.za.

He reiterated that tickets are not available at match venues, through provincial unions or at the usual retails outlets and if anyone answered an online advertisement for Lions tickets, they were in danger of being defrauded, exploited and ticketless.

South African residents who registered on the British & Irish Lions UK website would also miss their opportunity. South Africans are encouraged to the ticketing website, www.lionstour2021.co.za to ensure they are part of the support.

Roux said any other South African-based fan can register on the site when the ballot opens. The ballot closes at midnight on 16 September 2020.

“It is critical that if you want tickets for the tour you register on the site before 16 September 2020,” Roux remarked.

Once registered, the process is as follows:

  • On Wednesday, 2 September at 10h00 registrants will be able to login to lionstour2021.co.za;
  • South African residents will be able to select tickets for all eight matches (to a maximum of eight tickets per match);
  • Ballot closes on Wednesday, 16 September at 23h59;
  • The draw will take place by a computerised selection process;
  • All registered users will be advised by email whether they have been successful on 25 September 2020;
  • Payment will automatically take place on the credit card used for submitting your ballot application on 28 September and;
  • Seat allocation and tickets dispatch (courier or electronic) will take place in the second quarter of 2021.

Roux said the ballot process was consistent with all global major sporting events and was the system used at the 2019 Rugby World Cup, the 2019 Cricket World Cup and at many other major international sporting events.

Hospitality packages are available for all matches – ranging in price from R2 495 (excl. VAT) for a midweek game to R8 995 (excl. VAT) for a Test match. Those interested should email: hospitality@sarugbyevents.co.za.

Similarly, tickets can be accessed as part of a tour travel package by contacting SA Rugby Travel on info@sarugbytravel.com or 021 525 2515.

 

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Koos Venter

Koos Venter is an experienced journalist who started his career 35 years ago, before the days of cellphones, modern computer systems, the internet and digital cameras, as a correspondent for Nexus, the former national magazine of the Department of Correctional Services. He has since worked for various other publications in all aspects of news coverage, as a columnist and in the production side of newspapers and online publications. Since 2007 he has specialized as a sports writer, while he is also regularly used as an analyst and commentator by several radio stations.
Check Also
Close
Back to top button