Local sportSport

Start of 2020/21 amateur cricket season delayed

The latest spate of Covid-19 cases has forced SA Cricket to postpone the start of the amateur season.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) today confirmed the return of all forms of amateur cricket has been delayed until 01 February 2021.

CSA had originally plotted a return to play roadmap for provincial cricket, clubs, schools and KFC Mini-Cricket commencing in the first week of January, but due to the current national level 3 lockdown amid the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, no amateur cricket will be possible for the month of January.

The Senior Provincial Men’s season had been due to start last week, with the start of the 3-Day Provincial Cup with five matches scheduled across the country. The teams would have then gone on to compete in the opening round of the CSA Provincial One-Day Cup, which would have taken place this past Sunday (January 10).

A bumper weekend of cricket awaited the Provincial Women’s teams, with both the 50-over and T20 competitions earmarked for Saturday, 09 January and Sunday, 10 January respectively.

Following the success of the recent Women’s T20 Super League, which was held in December in Cape Town, provincial teams had their sights set on building on that momentum in the CSA Women’s Provincial T20 tournament.  Instead, they will continue to practice at their training grounds.

“Cricket South Africa and its Members are exercising their duty of care by adjusting the initial timeframe for the resumption of the game at this level” said acting Head of Cricket Pathways Edward Khoza.

He said they appreciate the eagerness of their buddying cricketers to play, but they are unfortunately constraint by the reality of the Covid-19 pandemic that is currently gripping the country, from which cricket is not sparred.

“In an effort to make up for the time lost to amateur cricket, CSA is considering the possibility of extending the playing window to the end of May 2021. Further, Senior Provincial Men and Women will be prioritised as we explore the option of having tournaments played within bio-secure environments,” concluded Khoza.

The revised tournament schedules will be announced at a later stage.

 

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Koos Venter

Koos Venter is an experienced journalist who started his career 35 years ago, before the days of cellphones, modern computer systems, the internet and digital cameras, as a correspondent for Nexus, the former national magazine of the Department of Correctional Services. He has since worked for various other publications in all aspects of news coverage, as a columnist and in the production side of newspapers and online publications. Since 2007 he has specialized as a sports writer, while he is also regularly used as an analyst and commentator by several radio stations.
Back to top button