Local sportSport

Jake White gives more young players a chance against the Sharks

The Bulls' coach, Jake White, will use his team's last game in the current preparation series, against the Sharks in Durban, to give another group of young players a chance to play at this level, while some experienced men probably get one last chance to secure their future at Loftus Versfeld.

Bulls Director of Rugby, Jake White, continues rotating his squad as he named the group that will travel to face the Sharks in their final Preparation Series warm-up match at Kings Park on Friday.

Springbok Nizaam Carr will again wear the captain’s armband and will lead a forward pack that sees significant changes.

Blitzbok Tim Agaba comes into the starting lineup at blindside flank with Werner Gouws shifting to openside.

Janko Swanepoel will wear the no.5 jumper while there is a completely new front row in Springboks’ Marcel van der Merwe and Lizo Gqoboka while Schalk Erasmus gets another opportunity to impress in the no.2 jersey.

Although this is not officially said by the Bulls management, this is probably a last chance for Marcel van der Merwe to prove himself. Since returning from Europe to Loftus Versfeld, van der Merwe has struggled to regain his form and it is especially his struggles in the scrums that are likely to jeopardize his future as a Bulls player.

Richard Kriel (fullback), Madosh Tambwe (right wing) and Zak Burger (scrumhalf) retain their spots from last week’s thrilling win over against the Stormers.

A new centre partnership will front up against the Durbanites with Marnus Potgieter and Dawid Kellerman entrusted with the responsibility while Diego Appollis will be on hunt for tries on the left wing.

Lastly, veteran Springbok flyhalf Morné Steyn returns to add valuable experience in what is a youthful backline.

The bench has also been adjusted significantly with Jacques van Rooyen being named as a replacement after starting last week.

Juniors Raynard Roets and Reinhardt Ludwig will cover lock and loose forward respectively, while Clinton Swart and Jay-Cee Nel have been named as utility back cover, with Keagan Johannes being named as the scrumhalf replacement.

Swart is probably another player who, if given the opportunity to play, will have to seize his chance. He has not lived up to expectations since he was brought to Loftus Versfeld by White from Japan.

“We have our last warm-up this week and we could not ask for better opposition in the Cell C Sharks. It’s our first meeting since our Carling Currie Cup final battle and they’ll want to get one over the champions,” said White.

He added that they continued in their rotation policy with the focus being on gaining experience throughout our larger squad.

“The Sharks have a strong squad which ultimately provides the foundation for another tough encounter but the gents are more than ready to throw their bodies on the line to secure a victory,” White concluded.

Kick-off is scheduled for 19:00 on Friday night.

The full Bulls squad is: 15. Richard Kriel, 14. Madosh Tambwe, 13. Marnus Potgieter, 12. Dawid Kellerman, 11. Diego Appollis, 10. Morné Steyn, 9. Zak Burger, 8. Nizaam Carr (c), 7. Tim Agaba, 6. Werner Gouws, 5. Janko Swanepoel, 4. Jan Uys, 3. Marcel van der Merwe, 2. Schalk Erasmus, 1. Lizo Gqoboka. Replacements: 16. Janco Uys, 17. Jacques van Rooyen, 18. Mornay Smith, 19. Raynard Roets, 20. WJ Steenkamp, 21. Keagan Johannes, 22. Clinton Swart, 23. Jay-Cee Nel, 24. Jan-Hendrik Wessels, 25. Reinhardt Ludwig, 26. Bernard van der Linde, 27. Niel Beukes.

 

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Koos Venter

Koos Venter is an experienced journalist who started his career 35 years ago, before the days of cellphones, modern computer systems, the internet and digital cameras, as a correspondent for Nexus, the former national magazine of the Department of Correctional Services. He has since worked for various other publications in all aspects of news coverage, as a columnist and in the production side of newspapers and online publications. Since 2007 he has specialized as a sports writer, while he is also regularly used as an analyst and commentator by several radio stations.
Back to top button