Local sportSport

Tuks still unbeaten in Varsity Cup Tournament after a solid performance against Pukke

As usual, Tuks trailed on the score board against the Pukke at half-time on Sunday, but their ability to focus and their fitness made them succeed again in winning the match in the last half hour.

Tuks assured they remain unbeaten in the Varsity Cup Tournament by yesterday outplaying the Northwest Eagles (Pukke) to win 33-15.

 

The home team, however, had their work cut out. At halftime, they trailed 9-10.

 

It was a changed Tuks team that took to the field for the second half. Seemingly the players had a plan with everything they did. That is why the Tuks captain Sango Xamlashe left the field feeling it was a job well done. 

 

“I am impressed with how we came back. We proved that we are a team that never gives up. To us, no game is won or lost until the final whistle blows. The past three games showed there is a lot in our arsenal we can use,” Xamlashe said after the action. 

 

Tuks’s head coach, Nico Luus, credits their success to 100% commitment from every team member.

 

“When I talk about the team, it is not only the players. It is every one of the support staff as well. I don’t think people realise what is being done behind the scenes to ensure the players are at their best when they take to the field. It is amazing,” Luus explained.

 

Tuks’s play on the defence has been outstanding. 

 

“One of the problems we have identified from last year was that we were leaking too many tries. That is why we got John McFarland to help us. He has worked wonders. It is as if every player can’t wait to tackle. Someone like David Coetzer might not be the biggest player, but he is absolutely fearless on defence,” said Luus,

 

According to Luus, he could name every player for their role in their success.

 

“What is exciting is our current depth. Two of the best loose forwards, Hanru Sirgel and Stephan Smit, are side-lined with injuries. Eduan Lubbe raised his hand and played brilliantly yesterday. As has Orateng Koikanyang,” Luus remarked.

 

Tuks’s scrumhalf, Clyde Lewis, is making a habit of scoring tries. In three games, he scored three times. It is interesting to note that last year Lewis was still playing fullback or wing. He only recently switched to playing scrumhalf. Yesterday was only his fourth game as scrumhalf.

 

The team’s vice-captain, Jaco Bezuidenhout, has got a story to tell about the try he scored. 

 

“When we did the video analysis of Northwest’s games, I saw a weakness on their defence when there is a ruck. The night before the match, I visualised myself going through that small gap to score. It happened exactly like that during the game,” Bezuidenhout commented. 

 

Zander du Plessis (fullback) was for the second time in three games the so-called “Player that rocks”. Apart from his deadly boot, he impressed with his tactical savviness. He has got an eye for a gap.

 

Luus told his players to relax the next two days and forget about rugby. However, this morning, he was back at work analysing how Maties. Tuks will be playing them on 22 April. 

 

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Koos Venter

Koos Venter is an experienced journalist who started his career 35 years ago, before the days of cellphones, modern computer systems, the internet and digital cameras, as a correspondent for Nexus, the former national magazine of the Department of Correctional Services. He has since worked for various other publications in all aspects of news coverage, as a columnist and in the production side of newspapers and online publications. Since 2007 he has specialized as a sports writer, while he is also regularly used as an analyst and commentator by several radio stations.
Back to top button