CrimeNews

Bank official appears in court for theft

The Groblersdal District Court has remanded the case of the 30-year-old Absa employee, who was recently arrested for the theft of money estimated at over R2 million

LIMPOPO – The Groblersdal District Court has remanded the case of the 30-year-old Absa employee, who was recently arrested for the theft of money estimated at over R2 million.

The case was remanded to 7 December for a regional court sitting.

The employee handed himself over at the Groblersdal police station in September after he had been on the run from the police. Since then, he has been denied bail in his two first appearances before the Groblersdal District Court.

The bank discovered the theft in June of replacing bank notes with fake ones when executing his duties of loading ATMs with cash.

Brig Hangwani Mulaudzi, Hawks spokesperson, said the bank eventually discovered his shenanigans after he had already stolen just over R2,2 million.

He further said the  suspect, who had been with the bank for a while, would only load half of the cash into ATMs and keep the rest for himself, replacing the money with fake bank notes.

During his brief appearance on Monday the state reaffirmed its position to oppose his bail and recommended he be remanded in police custody citing reasons that the suspect threatened to commit suicide.

 

 

 

For more breaking news visit us on ReviewOnline and CapricornReview or follow us on Facebook or Twitter
For more breaking news visit us on ReviewOnline and CapricornReview or follow us on Facebook or Twitter

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Review in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button