Man (21) attacked over Easter weekend
Dave Magabo, a 21-year-old student, is recovering in the Pietersburg Provincial Hospital after being attacked on Easter Saturday

POLOKWANE – On the fateful evening, Magabo was walking down Thabo Mbeki street looking for a lift.
“I saw a vehicle driving past and a man shouted at me that I should walk faster. I ignored him and walked on just to find the vehicle stopped a few blocks further and the man was standing outside the vehicle,” Magabo said.
As Magabo walked past the vehicle, the man alighted and pushed him against the vehicle.
There was another man in the vehicle and I told them I didn’t want trouble, I was just finding my way home to go see my family.
According to him, the first man shouted at him before grabbing his arm and slamming his head into the windscreen.
He fell to the ground and was kicked and beaten. After the attack, Magabo said he heard the vehicle speeding off.
Another vehicle driving down the street stopped and took Magabo to the provincial hospital, where he was treated for injuries to his face, broken ribs and injuries to his upper legs.
Magabo said he never thought of writing down the vehicle’s registration number and just thought of protecting his face after his nose was broken.
Polokwane Police Station spokesperson, Capt Ntobeng Phala, said no case had been opened at the police station yet, and he urged victims to open cases and have the police investigate the matter.
“There is no need for a victim to first wait until he or she has recovered before contacting the police. We will send officers to the hospital to take down a statement.”
Phala said in cases like these police are guided by injuries sustained to decide the type of case that will be opened and investigated.
He said the most important evidence that will be needed in a case like this is the J88 form that needs to be completed by a doctor and if possible the clothing that was worn by the victim on the day.




