Contract worker dies in manhole collapse in Louis Trichardt
HTE Construction company was hired by the Vhembe District Municipality to fix a blocked sewer pipe in the industrial area in Louis Trichardt.

LIMPOPO -Three contract workers from a private company were rescued and one died on January 26 after the 4m wide hole they were digging to fix a sewer line collapsed on them, trapping them inside the manhole.
HTE Construction company was hired by the Vhembe District Municipality to fix a blocked sewer pipe in the industrial area in Louis Trichardt.
The incident occurred at around 09:30 on the day, after which local emergency services workers were summoned, and the Polokwane EMS also arrived with their helicopter to assist in the rescue of the three workers who were trapped inside the manhole.
The operation took several hours, but by 15:00 the men were freed.
One worker died on the scene, while two were rushed to the Louis Trichardt Memorial Hospital for treatment and discharged. A third worker sustained only mild injuries.
The deceased was identified as Livhuwani Samuel Madou (38) from Vhutuwangadzebu in Nzhelele.
Makhado police spokesperson, Sgt Irene Radzilani confirmed the incident and said an inquest was opened.
The Vhembe District Municipality spokesperson, Matodzi Ralushai said they were saddened by the incident.
“One loss is too many and we send our sincere condolences to the family and everyone who had the pleasure of knowing and working with the deceased,” Ralushai said.
The managing director of HTE Construction, Humbulani Musandiwa said he visited the site with one of the Department of Labour’s officers before work commenced to check that the site was compliant with health and safety regulations, and that everything had been in place.




