Rape case highlights GBV threat in Vhembe District
Vhembe family's worst nightmare as 17-year-old girl was raped, the suspect has been arrested, charged with rape, remains in custody.
LIMPOPO – The case involving the rape of a 17-year-old girl near Tshirenzheni in the Nzhelele area, has again placed the focus on gender-based violence (GBV) in South Africa, particularly in the Vhembe district.
A 32-year-old suspect appeared in the Thohoyandou Magistrate’s Court facing charges of rape and the case postponed to Monday this week, for a formal bail application. The suspect remains in custody.
The spokesperson for the police in Vhembe, Warrant Officer Vuledzani Dathi, said the incident took place on October 11 at around 15:00.
“It is alleged that the victim was on her way to the doctor for medical treatment. While walking, she saw a vehicle passing slowly. She then heard the suspect order the driver to stop the car,” said Dathi.
The man asked her to get into the vehicle, to which she objected, saying they were not going in the same direction, according to Dathi.
It is alleged that the suspect either forced or convinced the girl to get into the vehicle, promising to take her to her destination.
Dathi said that the driver had taken them to Mphephu Plaza, where the suspect apparently asked him to get out of the vehicle.
The suspect then got into the driver’s seat and drove away with the girl. The girl alleges that she could not get out as the doors were locked. It is further alleged that he drove to a secluded area near bushes, where he then raped her.
The suspect then drove the girl back to the place where she wanted to be dropped off.
“The victim went to Siloam Hospital for medical treatment,” he added.
She reported the incident and the suspect was arrested.
The father of the girl responded last week and said the family was shattered upon learning about the incident.
“My family and I are feeling numb and as a father, I am overwhelmed by anger and pain. This situation echoes the call from President Cyril Ramaphosa, made in August, urging South African men to confront and combat Gender Based Violence. Yet, cases like these highlight the persistent threats facing young women in many communities, including Tshavhalovhedzi, where incidents of rape and sexual assault are reported with alarming frequency,” he added.
The father said his daughter had been raped a few days before her 18th birthday and her Gr 12 final exams.
“This rising pandemic of raping young girls is fast becoming a growing social concern. What happened to my daughter is a parent’s worst nightmare,” he said.
The father went on to ask the public and media to respect her privacy, especially as she faces her Gr 12 final examinations, stressing the need for support rather than sensationalism.




