Local sportSport

Montjane focussed on SA Open results

Local wheelchair tennis star, Kgothatso Montjane, faced world number one, Sabine Ellerbrock, in the finals of the Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) Gauteng Open on Sunday.

POLOKWANE – Local wheelchair tennis star, Kgothatso Montjane, faced world number one, Sabine Ellerbrock, in the finals of the Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) Gauteng Open on Sunday.

Montjane, who grew up in Seshego, looked poised for an upset when she took the first set, but the German, who was nursing an arm injury at the time, brought a more aggressive game to the final two sets.

Ellerbrock beat Montjane 4-6, 6-2, 6-2.”I knew it was going to be a tough match,” said Montjane. “It was great to take the first set, but Sabine came back hard in the second and I made a lot of mistakes.

“There are a lot of things to take from this tournament and I am leaving here with a lot of confidence for next week’s Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) South African Open,” she said.

Montjane eliminated the third seed, Lucy Shuker of Britian, 7-5, 6-1 in the semi-finals of the Gauteng Open for a spot in the finals. “I am very happy with this result. It wasn’t easy.” She also beat Charlotte Famin of France 7-5, 6-2 in the quarter finals of the Gauteng Open.

Montjane headed into last week’s ACSA South African Open determined to claim a home victory after her loss in the finals of the Gauteng Open. At least three world number ones in various categories and 16 world top 10 players competed in the ACSA South African Open wheelchair tennis series at the Ellis Park Tennis Stadium from April 29 to May 5.

Review will report on Montjane’s ACSA South African Open results in the Review Weekend edition.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Review in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button