BETHAL – Although residents are currently experiencing some relief from huge and lengthy electricity interruptions, this does not mean legal action is not continuing.
The Bethal and eMzinoni Community for Services (Becs) is going full steam ahead with legal action.
This is said to be the only solution for Bethal residents’ continuing struggles with GMM not rendering paid-for services.
According to Mr Ziyaad Dangor, chairman of the Bethal Business Association (BBA) and spokesman for Becs, several applications have been issued.
Those who received these applications are the executive mayor and municipal manager of Govan Mbeki Municipality, the mayor and municipal manager of the Gert Sibande District Municipality, the Mpumalanga MEC for Corporative Governance and Traditional Affair (Cogta), Eskom Holdings in Johannesburg and the minister for Corporative Governance and Traditional Affairs in Pretoria.
Mr Dangor said the attorneys have already received a notice of intention to oppose the application from GSDM and GMM.
The deadline for the opposing application was at the end of October with supporting documentation.
“GMM going under administration is not affecting our legal case.
“Yes, we may be having more electricity now and fewer interruptions than in the beginning, but this does not mean it will stop.
“We are awaiting a court date,” said Mr Dangor.
He said a change of management and the six months of administration are not going to help.
“For more than 20 years GMM has messed up our town. How is being under administration going to help?”
He went on saying that the damage has already been done and that GMM being under six months of administration is not going to help the already half-sunken ship.
“Until today the new administration has not made contact us or our attorneys regarding the legal action.
“Putting GMM under administration does not affect the normal paying public, there are still no services, things are not getting better,” ended Mr Dangor.
An email and WhatsApp was sent to GMM communications on Thursday, 5 November. Although the WhatsApp had been read by relevant parties no response was received at the time of going to press.



