Another postponement in case against former G4S guards

The three former G4S security guards who were arrested for suspected involvement in the deadly Florida cash-in-transit heist on 30 October 2020, appeared in the Roodepoort Magistrates’ Court yesterday, 10 May.

Hours after a deadly cash-in-transit heist took place in Florida on 30 October, three G4S guards were arrested for suspected involvement. The men had been travelling along Ontdekkers Road loading ATMs before their vehicle was attacked, bombed, and robbed shortly before 9am. A beloved First Help tow truck driver, Shane Williams, was sadly shot and killed by the fleeing suspects who had carried out the heist.

The suspicion that the guards were involved came after approximately R3,2 million was recovered from under the seats of the bombed armoured vehicle and from inside the dustbins on a nearby premises. During the bail application hearing of the accused, the men stated that the money had been hidden under the seats of the vehicle to save time while they were loading ATMs – instead of opening the safe at every stop.

Read previous article here: Trial of former G4S guards to finally begin

Since their arrest, Raymond Tshova, 41, Themba Sithole, 26, and Smilo Thwala, 28, have all resigned from their positions within G4S, despite internal procedures that were being conducted within the security company. In their second court appearance all three men were granted R5 000 bail, the conditions of which still stand, apart from the tri-weekly visits to a local police station which have been removed from the bail conditions.

Raymond, Smilo and Themba all appeared in the Roodepoort Magistrates’ Court again on 10 May for what was initially understood to be the start of their trial. However, the absence of the accused’s lawyer, Jannie Kruger meant the trial could not proceed. The lawyer standing in for Kruger stated that the day’s proceedings were merely for provisional date disclosure. The presiding magistrate reminded the accused that the conditions of their bail still stand, and instructed them to return to the court on 31 May for the start of the pre-trial procedures.

HAWKS spokesperson Ndivhuwo Mulamu initially stated the suspects would be facing charges of murder, armed robbery, conspiracy to commit armed robbery, possession of suspected stolen money, perjury and defeating the ends of justice. These charges have since been amended and the suspects now only face a charge of theft. National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson, Phindi Mjonondwane, has been contacted on several occasions to enquire about this case, especially as to why there was such a big change in the charges, but there has yet to be a response. As soon as a response is received, an update will be published.

Related Articles

Back to top button