MunicipalNews

Residents battle recurring sewage crisis near Braamfontein Spruit

Ward 103 councillor Lynda Shackelford calls for urgent action after another sewage pipeline collapse causes prolonged pollution along the Braamfontein Spruit.

A major sewage spill at the bottom of the Arklow enclosure, near the Braamfontein Spruit, is causing mounting concern among residents and local authorities.

Read more: Bryanston resident left frustrated by Johannesburg Water’s sewage leak response

The spill, which councillor Lynda Shackelford, of Ward 103, says is an annual occurrence, has once again left a large stagnant pool of sewage collecting in the spray area, just near the Ballyclare bridge. “This is not a once-off problem, it happens every single year, and when it does, it takes months to clear. Meanwhile, residents are left dealing with the smell, the health hazards, and the environmental impact.”

Sewage flows into the Braamfontein Spruit, forming a white streak against the surrounding vegetation and stone embankment. Photo: Supplied

Shackelford said the latest incident began earlier this month and follows the same pattern as previous years: A collapse, or blockage, in the final section of the sewage pipeline, which runs along the spruit, originating near Bryanston Shopping Centre and traveling through Arklow, Galway, and Ballyclare drives, before reaching the spray area. The final push of sewage infrastructure is often the failure point.

Also read: Grayston Drive’s sewage leak crisis

“We are especially concerned, now that it’s summer,” Shackelford added. “The heat intensifies the smell and increases the risk of disease. Residents are reporting unbearable living conditions and fear for their well-being.”

Ward 103 councillor Lynda Shackelford calls for urgent action after another sewage pipeline collapse causes prolonged pollution along the Braamfontein Spruit. Photo: Supplied

She added that during the 2023/24 summer, a similar sewage overflow took months to resolve, despite multiple escalations and community pressure. She emphasised the need for immediate intervention. “We need clarity on Johannesburg Water’s responsibility in ensuring this sewage doesn’t enter the spruit. Preventative maintenance and infrastructure upgrades are long overdue.”

The Sandton Chronicle reached out to Johannesburg Water on September 23, but no response was received by the time of publication. Updates will be provided once they are available.

Follow us on our WhatsApp channelFacebookXInstagram and TikTok for the latest updates!

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Sandton Chronicle in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button