NewsNewsSportSport

SA rugby gears up for return to action

Following several weeks of preparation and consultation with government and all provincial unions to ensure compliance with regulation and to minimise the risk of COVID-19 infection, professional rugby teams would return to non-contact training from Monday.

The Vodacom Bulls, Emirates Lions, Cell C Sharks, DHL Stormers, Southern Kings, Toyota Cheetahs, Tafel Lager Griquas and Phakisa Pumas are set to return to non-contact training from Monday.

The eight teams will resume training with a view to competing in domestic competitions that are being modelled by SA Rugby and member unions to be accommodated into the remainder of the year.

Due to the economic impact of the pandemic on the sport, the remaining professional teams will remain in lockdown.

The SA Rugby CEO, Jurie Roux said: “This is an important first step back to playing, and we have taken it carefully to ensure full compliance and having thoroughly interrogated the regulations with government”

“Contact training will not be permitted for the moment but the players will be allowed back onto the field with a rugby ball and back into the gym – while observing strict protocols in both areas – which comes as a great relief to the sport.”

Roux said that all players and management teams were being screened before Monday’s return and that training venues had been prepared to conform to the new protocols.

Several competition formats with various start dates featuring eight teams had been modelled for the return to competitive play, as it was highly unlikely that air corridors would be opened to allow international travel.

Roux said the only teams expected to appear in 2020 were the eight professional teams and those that fielded under-21 teams. All other competitions as well as club rugby were cancelled.

“The risk associated with a mass return to train and play has been highlighted by government and the timelines and practicalities are such that it is unrealistic that there will be a general return to play this year,” said Roux.

“Therefore the members of the CovCom [the standing committee of member unions and experts which has been managing rugby’s response to the pandemic] opted to formally confirm that the only rugby to take place under their jurisdiction this year would feature the eight senior teams.”

Roux added that schools rugby did not fall under SA Rugby’s jurisdiction and any decisions in that regard would be handled by the Department of Basic Education.

For free breaking and community news, visit Mooivaal media’s websites:

Sedibeng Ster

Vaalweekblad

Parys Gazette

Carletonville Herald

Potchefstroom Herald

For more news and interesting articles, like Sedibeng Ster on Facebook.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Sedibeng Ster in Google News and Top Stories.

Gugulethu Kgongoane

Gugulethu Kgongoane is the Online Editor of Sedibeng Ster. Email: gugu@mooivaal.co.za She is also an online journalist of Vaalweekblad. Email: gugu@mooivaal.co.za

Related Articles

Back to top button