NewsNews

Guilty plea marks turning point in Vanderbijlpark kidnapping case

Sangoma involved in the missing toddler's case appeared briefly before the Vanderbijlpark Magistrate’s Court.

VANDERBIJLPARK – What was meant to be a brief appearance for the second suspect in the kidnapping case of the toddler, Kutlwano Shalaba, quickly turned into drama when the sangoma arrested in connection with the case revealed significant information.

Sebokoane Khanyane (50) stunned the packed courtroom this morning when he told the magistrate, “I’m guilty” during his appearance alongside the toddler’s accused mother, Keneilwe Shalaba.

The traditional healer, facing charges of human trafficking and premeditated murder, was arrested on May 29, following an ongoing investigation by Boipatong SAPS detectives.

His arrest led to a gruesome discovery of a lifeless body buried in a shallow grave at Waterpan Road in Bekkersdal.

The toddler was initially reported missing by her mother in November last year. Investigations, however, revealed that the mother was involved in the disappearance of her child.

She was arrested on charges of human trafficking, making a false statement to the police, and conspiracy to commit robbery.

In court, when asked about his legal representation, Khanyane casually told the magistrate he was guilty, before quickly changing his mind and requesting a state attorney.

Addressing the media following the appearance, National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Lumka Mahanjana said, “A charge of premeditated murder was also added to the mother.

Investigations at the time suggested that the mother might have sold the child to the sangoma, but as it stands, the investigators are suggesting other things rather than selling. More charges might be added against both the accused.”

At the court, the sangoma’s rights were explained to him. He told the court he was pleading guilty, however, the court quickly told him that it was not the right platform to plead yet.

Shalaba and Khoanyana are expected back in court on Thursday (June 5).

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Sedibeng Ster in Google News and Top Stories.

Sifiso Jimta

Sifiso Jimta is an experienced journalist of Ster North and Sedibeng Ster. He enjoys writing crime and feature articles. Email: sifiso@mooivaal.co.za

Related Articles

Back to top button