CrimeNews

Angry crowd attacks police officers

Several charges - including kidnapping, public violence, assault on police and damage to essential services - have been laid.

THREE Mzamba SAPS state vehicles were severely damaged by an angry crowd in the Lukholo area near Bizana last Tuesday.

Police officers and vehicles were reportedly attacked and stoned by community members who had accused them of protecting an alleged criminal.

YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN : BREAKING: 3 Suspects killed, 7 arrested in cash-in-transit heist attempt near Harding

The community had abducted a man from a tavern and taken him to a nearby school where he was interrogated, assaulted and accused of being “ivondo” (a cannibal) and a car thief.

Police officers were alerted and, when they responded, were met by an angry crowd.

The mob of around 800 people trapped the officers at the school and demanded the man be released.

One of three Mzamba SAPS vehicles damaged by an angry crowd last Tuesday.

According to the Eastern Cape Provincial spokesman, Captain Khaya Tonjeni, the man was injured during the ordeal and was taken to hospital.

He was discharged the following day.

Speaking to the Herald, the man said he was still recovering.

“They accused me of eating human flesh, knocking at their doors at night with the intent to harm them and give their body parts to an inyanga.”

An investigating officer’s vehicle was damaged by an angry crowd in Lukholo last Tuesday.

When asked about the allegations of car theft, he said he had been using company vehicles, hence the change of vehicles on a regular basis.

“No arrests have been made but police are investigating,” said Captain Tonjeni

Several charges – including kidnapping, public violence, assault on police and damage to essential services – have been laid.

A community member who spoke to the Herald on condition of anonymity said they had heard that the man had been seen hanging around an inyanga who is alleged to use human body parts.

Angry community members stoned SAPS vehicles which had responded to a call in the Lukholo area.

However police disputed this, saying there had been no cases of ‘amavondo’ or missing persons reported in the area.

HAVE YOUR SAY

Like our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

For news straight to your phone, add us on BBM 58F3D7A7 or WhatsApp 082 421 6033

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from South Coast Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button