CrimeNews

Pennington robbers get 10 years’ imprisonment – third suspect murdered

Mtolo was sentenced to an additional seven years' imprisonment for three other burglaries.

HABITUAL criminal Ayanda Boyboy Mtolo (32) and his accomplice, 27-year-old Siyabonga Meji will be spending the next 10 years in prison.

The pair was convicted and sentenced in the Scottburgh Regional Court earlier this month.

“On January 14 last year at 3.50am, a woman on duty at a senior citizens’ home in Pennington saw what looked like a dog on the premises coming up on the CCTV screen,” said Scottburgh SAPS communications officer, Captain Vincent Pandarum.

When she went to investigate, the woman was confronted by three men, armed with firearms and an axe. The men demanded that  cellphones and car keys be handed over.

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Pennington burglars nabbed before cops register case for investigation

There were no vehicles on the premises so they robbed the woman of her cellphone and fled. A case of house robbery was subsequently registered for investigation and assigned to Detective Warrant Officer Yugen Moodley of the Scottburgh SAPS Detective Service.

Both Mtolo and Meji were arrested and charged with house robbery.

The third suspect had been shot and killed – allegedly by a rival gang – before he could be arrested.

Mtolo was sentenced to a further seven years’ imprisonment for three other burglary cases to which the police had successfully connected him – all cases having occurred in Pennington.

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Triple car theft hits Pennington

Commending Detective Warrant Officer Moodley on a job well done, Ugu Cluster commander, Major-General Sethenya Agnes Nxamagele said: “We cannot allow these home invasions to continue.”

“We will do our utmost to curb these burglaries and call upon the communities to be observant and vigilant and to take every precaution to prevent burglars from gaining access into their premises.”

“We also urge the security companies and neighborhood watches to work closely with the police to rid our streets of criminals.”

HAVE YOUR SAY

Like our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

For news straight to your phone, add us on BBM 58F3D7A7 or WhatsApp 082 421 6033

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from South Coast Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button