CrimeNews

Drug addict appears in Scottburgh Magistrate’s Court twice in one week

The man apologised for his crimes and ended up pleading guilty to both.

A young man who appeared in the Scottburgh Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday morning last week had been taken into police custody for theft, after having appeared in the same court for another offence two days earlier.

The man apologised for his crimes and ended up pleading guilty to both. He then explained his situation to the magistrate.

“I’m sorry ma’m, but I have been a drug addict for the past seven years of my life and I need help because I’m committing crimes to feed my habit,” he said.

YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN: From jail cell to rehab centre – and everything in between

The magistrate advised him to take Legal Aid to help him with the cases and, after his consent, opted for him to remain in custody and abandon bail as he’d feel safer on the inside and not tempted while out on the streets.

“The court understands what you are going through and will help you rehabilitate yourself once the case is concluded,” she said.

The man remains in police custody and will reappear on January 24.

HAVE YOUR SAY

Like our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

For news straight to your phone, add us on BBM 58F3D7A7 or WhatsApp 082 421 6033

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from South Coast Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button