CrimeNews

ANC councillor faces murder charge

Sithandiwe Gugulethu Msabala was assaulted and suffocated.

AN ANC councillor from Umdoni has been accused of murder following the death of a man during a mob attack in the Kwa-Joni area at Ovumaneni village near Scottburgh earlier this month.

ALSO READ : Municipal officials face criminal charges over R35-m irregular expenditure

According to community members, Sithandiwe Gugulethu Msabala popularly known as ‘Tende’, had been visiting the village from Dududu when the councillor questioned him after Msabala was seen hanging around with a group of men accused of robbing a local shop owner.

It is believed the councillor, who was in the area to encourage people to attend the ANC’s rally at Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban, then used his vehicle to take Msabala to face the wrath of the community.

There Msabala was reportedly assaulted and suffocated. He was buried at his home last Saturday.

Now Msabala’s friends say they want justice.

“Councillors should know that they are not a law unto themselves. Our friend was a builder by profession and he would not have robbed anyone,” said one.

According to provincial police spokesman, Captain Nqobile Gwala a murder case has been opened.

“The councillor in question was arrested. He appeared in court last Friday and was granted R2 000 bail.”

Captain Gwala said investigations were ongoing.

ANC Lower South Coast Region spokesman Lindo Mzimela said the ANC was shocked by these allegations., and had instituted an internal investigation.

“The ANC respects the rule of law and understands that since this matter is in front of the courts, we will respect the process and its outcome.”

Mr Mzimela added the party was saddened by the incident and condemned the criminal element that led to this ‘regrettable situation’.

“We hope justice is swiftly served but we also firmly believe in the principle of innocent until proven guilty.”

HAVE YOUR SAY

Like our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

 

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from South Coast Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button