CrimeNews

Taxi driver ‘hitmen’ accused appear in Scottburgh Magistrate’s Court

When the suspects were arrested, one was found in possession of an unlicensed 9mm pistol and six rounds of ammunition

Two suspects wanted for a taxi-related murder were arrested during a joint operation conducted by the Provincial Taxi Violence Task Team, K9 Unit, Provincial Vispol police officers and other units at Emalangeni in Umzinto recently.

The two men, aged 26 and 28 years respectively, are thought to be linked to the killing of Sbusiso Mbutho (28) in Scottburgh earlier this month.

On Friday, April 5 at 6pm, Mbutho was driving his minibus along the Dududu road when he was approached by two gunmen.

YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN: Grandfather murdered on Ifafa farm, neighbour speaks out

“They opened fire and Mbutho was shot several times in the torso. He died instantly,” said Colonel Thembeka Mbhele of Saps KZN Media Centre.

The men then fled in his vehicle.

“When the suspects were arrested, the 28-year-old was found in possession of an unlicensed 9mm pistol and six rounds of ammunition,” said Colonel Mbhele.

The ammunition found carried by one of the suspects.

He appeared in the Umzumbe Magistrate’s Court on Thursday, April 11 on this charge and was remanded in custody until April 18 for bail application.

Both men appeared in the Scottburgh Magistrate’s Court on Monday, April 15 on murder charges. The case was postponed to the Scottburgh Regional Court on April 24. They remain in custody.

HAVE YOUR SAY

Like our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from South Coast Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button