Local sportSport

Surfing to reach the stars

The Jordy Smith Inter-Club Tag-Team Challenge was a surfing contest put together by Nicolette Tilley and Alvin Mtatshi, an inspirational individual from Sisonke Surf Club.

A team of surfers from Umzumbe secured fourth place in the Jordy Smith Inter-Club Tag-

Team Challenge held at Bay of Plenty in Durban last Saturday.

YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN : Surfing legend Shaun Tomson creates positive waves for KwaDukuza youth

The event also raised enough money for four development surfers, Simo Mkhize (Umzumbe), Ayanda Mpisane (Trafalgar Saints), Lwando Dlezi (Trafalgar Saints) and Senzo Shange (Trafalgar Surf Club) to go to the South African championships.

Nicolette Tilley, event organiser of Saturday’s surf contest, said this initiative was inspired by meeting Simo and seeing him surf in Umzumbe.

Organiser Nicolette Tilley.

“I could see that he was incredibly talented. After forming a friendship with Simo and Zamani Gcwense I started taking the Umzumbe Development team through to their Ugu trials,” she said.

Nicolette said that after four development surfers from Trafalgar and Umzumbe made the team to represent Ugu District at the South African Championships 2018, they realised that it was simply not possible for these surfers to raise the costs and that they needed to help to raise funds for them to take part.

Organiser Alvin Mtatshi.

“I reached out to friends, family, sponsors and the professional surfing industry in order to raise enough money. The Umzumbe community and my friends have been incredibly generous. The money that I have raised has ensured that Simo, Ayanda, Lwando and Senzo get the opportunity to compete.

The Jordy Smith Inter-Club Tag-Team Challenge was a surfing contest that Nicolette and Alvin Mtatshi, an inspirational individual from Sisonke Surf Club, put together with the help of equipment kindly loaned to them by Ugu Surfriders to aid them in the fund-raising.

“Sisonke Surf Club is doing incredible work empowering development surfers along the coastline of KwaZulu-Natal (KZN). Alvin has worked with some of the Trafalgar Saints and Umzumbe boys for many years in mentoring and coaching them.”

The surfing contest was also aimed to bring back the friendly competitiveness between all the KZN clubs and required teams to have four men and a woman.

South Shore from Southbroom entered two teams: they had local surfers Heather Clark, who has numerous titles under her belt as their woman surfer and Kirra Attfield was the woman surfer for the Trafalgar Saints Team.

The youngest woman surfer was Louise Lupront who braved the backline at the young age of nine alongside some of South Africa’s best surfers and legends like Paul Canning.

There were 11 teams in total and many of them were children under 12 years. This type of event allowed families to compete together, as there were no age limits.

Graham Smith sponsored funds towards the running costs of the event.

Surfing South Africa generously sponsored R2 500 to the Rising Stars Award for the best development team, which was split between the Umzumbe and Sisonke Club as both surfed at an equally incredible level.

Louise Lupront (9) from Skullz Surf Club, Scottburgh.

Anne Wright was the contest director, overseeing all the finer details and ensuring the schedule and heats ran according to plan. Wild and Free sponsored the main prize of R5 000, which went to the surfers of North Swell Surf Club.

Umzumbe Surf Team (from left) Mhlengi Mbutho, Thandazani Ngcobo, Zamani Gcwensa, Simo Mkhize and Chantelle Both.

“It has been a heart-warming journey so far, working with these young men who overcome obstacles on a daily basis to live out their passion for surfing,” said Nicolette.

HAVE YOUR SAY

Like our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

For news straight to your phone, add us on WhatsApp 082 421 6033

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from South Coast Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button