City cuts illegal power connections
Illegal connections kill children who touch or step on the live wires.

CITY Power has started a large campaign to cut illegal operations, backed by SAPS and JMPD, Eskom and the city’s Emergency Services, plus the Department of Health.
The operation started on Friday, December 2 in Randburg, as they cause unplanned power outages in the city and are a danger to residents. “Illegal connections are a danger to society. Children die from stepping on or touching exposed wires that carry high volumes of electricity,” said Ngobese, Spokesperson for Citizen Relationships and Urban Management.
One of the properties that was raided, was inhabited by 12 families – who claimed they weren’t aware the power they used, had been illegally procured. They said they thought the bill for their electricity consumption, was covered in the monthly rent they paid the property owner.
Zimbabwean Kaith Mashiri said he’d been renting a room in the area for over two years. When told that he’d been using electricity without paying for it, he said he’d tried unsuccessfully to plead with the landlord to approach the authorities about the matter. He was distraught when officials cut the illegal connections to his room.
By dawn on Saturday, two truckloads of insulated wires and other material used for illegal connections, had been removed from the area.
Ngobese urged residents to assist City Power in its fight against illegal connections, by calling the anonymous tip-off hotline number: 0800 002 587. She said the information would be treated in the strictest confidence.
Information Courtesy of Joburg Online.
For free daily local news in the south, visit our sister newspapers Alberton Record, Comaro Chronicle, Southern Courier and Get it Joburg South Magazine.
Remember to visit our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages. You can also email our offices on cvdwalt@caxton.co.za, juliem@caxton.co.za or luckyt@caxton.co.za
Add us on WhatsApp today! Comaro Chronicle: 079 427 8074 and Southern Courier: 079 404 5789.



