Local newsNewsUpdate

Robinson Landfill site has been smouldering for days

The fire started on September 16.

The Pikitup team that is battling the fire at the Robinson Landfill site has confirmed that 80% of the fire has been extinguished on September 21.

The team has been working around the clock to fight the fire since September 16. The reason for the outbreak of the fire is yet to be established.

Pikitup spokesperson Muzi Mkhwanazi said the efforts to put out the fire were negatively affected by last week’s windy conditions and the fact that the fire is concentrated on the slopes of the landfill site.

“However, the team has managed to put out the open flames and they are now dealing with putting out the smoke by wetting the soil and placing heaps of soil over the surface. This approach seems to be working because there are no open flames on the site anymore, just smoke.

Pikitup working around the clock to extinguish fire at landfill site

“Pikitup has deployed two 10 cubic-metre trucks, three 15 cubic-metre tipper trucks and two ADT trucks – the latter are the big trucks used in mining projects – as well as water tankers. The Johannesburg Emergency Services is also on board and has provided a further two water tankers.

“The waste management company apologises unreservedly to residents staying near the affected landfill site for the inconvenience caused and would like to assure residents the fire will be extinguished soon,” he said.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Southern Courier in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button