CrimeLocal newsNews

Randhart murder case postponed and bail denied

The Randhart murder case was postponed after the accused, Freddie Vermeulen, was refused bail.

The Randhart murder case of IT businessman Freddie Vermeulen was postponed no January 30, when the accused was refused bail. Vermeulen remains in custody and will return to court on February 11.

During cross-examination, Vermeulen said he did not plan to kill his wife, Juanita Vermeulen. He claimed the incident occurred during a confrontation at their home, and alleged that she attacked him, forcing him to defend himself.

He maintained that the stabbing was not premeditated.

Vermeulen testified that they had been married for many years, and that their relationship had deteriorated in recent months. He said Juanita had become secretive and that tensions between them had escalated.

Vermeulen admitted to an affair with another woman.

According to his testimony, Juanita had begun recording their verbal exchanges, and on the day of her death, she ran into a room with a knife. A brief struggle followed, during which Juanita was stabbed.


ALSO READ: Stapelberg case postponed again as accused drops to number 79 on psychiatric bed waiting list


He told the court he had never seen the expression on her face and insisted that he did not kill people. The accused said he panicked after the incident and dragged his wife outside before putting her into her BMW 535.

He testified that he intended to take her to the hospital, but stopped on the way at a location where rental trailers were kept.

There, he asked people he met to assist in taking her to Netcare. He said he later walked home and cleaned the house.

Vermeulen further told the court that the deceased had insisted on his R5m life insurance policy and his other assets, which, he claimed, amounted to R11m.

The investigating officer stated in court that bail should not be granted. Vermeulen’s legal representative referred to exceptional circumstances during the bail proceedings.

Juanita was laid to rest on January 26.



ALSO READ: WATCH: Big fight looming between the objectors and Alberton property developer

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Alberton Record in Google News and Top Stories.

Lonwabo Keswa

An accomplished journalist with 3+ years' experience in all fields of journalism. Specialising in Broadcast Journalism in school, adept print and online storytelling, delivering compelling news across platforms with depth and clarity.

Related Articles

Back to top button