Local newsNews

Site operator appointed at Weltevreden Landfill Site

It has been revealed that a portion of the landfill site will be allocated for recycling purposes.

Khabokedi Waste Management has been appointed as the site operator for the Weltevreden Landfill Site. The site, which was previously maintained through a plant hiring tender, is expected to be fully operational before the end of year.

According to Ward 97 Clr Brandon Pretorius, rehabilitation at the site has already started and the new operator has started addressing all backlogs on site.

“Part of the induction engagement referred to a number of concerns, one of which one was the failure of the previous site operator to control entry to the site, specifically via the main entrance,” said Pretorius.

“The new site operator has committed to do all that he can to stop such. Taking into consideration that the site no longer has a boundary wall, he still assured me that no vehicles will leave the site with recyclable waste.

“The operator also stated that a portion of the landfill site will be allocated for recycling purposes and that the formalisation of the recycling will be key to try and combat the illegal activities that we have seen in the past.

“The continued mismanagement of this site in the past has had a huge effect on the residents of Brakpan and the state of the environment directly opposite the site, and no one can deny the fact that it poses a huge health risk to residents of Brakpan.

“We will closely monitor the developments at the site as the operator takes his place for the next three years.”

Pretorius also told the Brakpan Herald the cell development project at the site has concluded. As reported by the Herald in September last year, work was underway to ensure that the site operates according to prescribed laws.

“At that time the work being done was focused on the cell development on the perimeter of the landfill site. Cells are areas into which waste is compacted,” said Pretorius.

“The cell development comprised of three phases and the work was monitored heavily as it is highly regulated. The main focus of the cell development was to ensure that once utilised, the waste material dumped within the cells does not affect the soil underneath ground level.”

Pretorius met with representatives from the Department of Environment and Waste Management on site November 11, and according to the department’s reports, this work has been finalised.



ALSO READ: Register on App to save money

ALSO READ: Save a Drop campaign spreads message on wise water usage

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Brakpan Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button