Motorist challenges MEC on Field’s Hill traffic conditions
The KZN transport department has been challenged to seriously commit to improve safety on the notorious stretch of road, Field's Hill.

AN irate motorist has challenged the minister of transport, Willies Mchunu, to do something about the alarming amount of accidents caused either by heavy duty vehicles, vehicles speeding up Field’s Hill or lack of safety on the highway, before more lives are lost.
This challenge follows Candace Redgard’s accident on Field’s Hill on Tuesday 27 May at 5.15pm. She was travelling up Field’s Hill when she noticed construction workers busy erecting poles on the Armco barriers around the first blind corner. There were no road markings.
“As I drove around the bend, one of the poles fell right into the centre lane, I tried to avoid it, but a car came speeding up on the right and a taxi was on the left hand side, so I had no choice but to drive into the pole, smashing my front fender and bursting my left front tyre.
“There was hardly any warning except for two cones just before the workers and they were not even wearing their safety vests at dusk and peak hour traffic,” said Redgard.
She said luckily she was driving at an average speed, therefore her passengers, her 14-year-old son, Taine, and her 20-year-old daughter, Lyne-Le, were not hurt. Taine helped her put her spare wheel on after the accident.
“I’m just lucky that I was able to control my car since I was not speeding. However, being a single mom, I have now incurred costs through damages to my car that was simply unnecessary,” added Redgard.
Her challenge to the MEC is to ban all heavy duty trucks from using the M13, and to enforce stricter safety regulations on the highway.
“Companies that use that M13 to transport goods on heavy duty vehicles need to manage their routes and times travelled. They also need to request all toll receipts from their drivers, to ensure they are not breaking any laws,” said Redgard.
Rafeek Shah, MPL of the Democratic Alliance said he is extremely concerned, not only by the gross negligence of road workers on Field’s Hill, but also by the failure of KZN’s transport department to seriously commit to improved safety on this notorious stretch of road.
“It is nine months since last year’s horror accident yet there is little indication from the department that it is prioritising Field’s Hill. On the evening of 27 May an accident occurred, which is not an isolated case.
“Negligence by road workers including inadequate and inappropriate signage and a lack of safety vests has been a direct cause of loss of lives on KZN’s roads. Fortunately, Ms Redgard and her children were not hurt. But it is simply a matter of time before there is another terrible accident on Field’s Hill,” said Shah.
He added that the DA expects KZN’s Transport MEC, Willies Mchunu, to prioritise Field’s Hill once and for all and to action the measures he has merely spoken about to date.
The MEC is still to respond.



