ALERT: Blaauwpan closed as divers look for body
Du Plessis requested that residents respect the protocol until all forensic processes had been completed
Blaauwpan, a popular picnic and fishing spot in Bonaero Park, will be closed until further notice as police divers look for the body of a man who drowned on Friday afternoon.
According to ward councillor André du Plessis, MMC Khosi Mabaso approved the closure of the park until further notice.
Du Plessis said a man went swimming in the dam on Friday afternoon. Visitors to the dam as well as the caretaker urged the man to come out but he apparently refused to do so and drowned.
Police divers arrived at the dam late Friday afternoon to start looking for the body. However, due to darkness they had to call off the search until Saturday morning,
Du Plessis requested that residents respect the protocol until all forensic processes had been completed. The reopening of the park will be communicated in due course.
Extra security had been arranged to keep visitors from the park on Saturday morning, Du Plessis said.
He said the park could re-open on Sunday.
