Local newsNews

Hail damage causes riots

Aid follows Kagiso residents' riots.

Kagiso residents took the streets burning tyres as pleads for aid allegedly went unheard after a hailstorm hit the area on Thursday 28 November.

In an interview with SABC News, residents accused the local municipality of not caring enough.

“Where is the help from Government when we need it?” a disgruntled resident asked on air.

Rioters claimed that they burnt tyres “to get Government’s attention because we need help”.

Democratic Alliance (DA) Premier candidate Musi Maimane visited the area and said that he sympathised with residents and understood their anger.

“Residents are angry and rightfully so,” he said.

The DA accused Mogale City Municipality of depleting the Kagiso Disaster Relief Fund.

“Residents are entitled to their anger when we have a budget in the municipality for disasters and it hasn’t kicked in,” said Maimane.

Gauteng Premier Nomvula Mokonyane rejected claims.

“What has happened is beyond what the municipality can do. That is why we are working together,” she said.

“We thank all people who have been working to put intervention into place,” she added.

Meanwhile disaster relief organisation Gift of the Givers contributed R2 million towards relief for people affected by hailstorms across the country and handed out blankets, food and plastic sheets in Kagiso.

Gauteng MEC for Human Settlements, Ntombi Mekgwe, also was set to visit residents of Kagiso to inspect the damage caused by the hailstorm last week.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Krugersdorp News in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button