Alleged mob justice murderer arrested
“Anyone who takes the law into his own hands and goes as far as killing another human being will face the full might of the law."
A 61-year-old man was arrested during the morning of 9 May in Rietvallei for a murder which took place in February.
On 18 February, at about 6am, the Kagiso Police crime prevention members received a complaint of murder from a member of the community at Rietvallei.
Captain Solomon Sibiya, spokesperson for the Kagiso Police, said that upon arrival at the scene they found the half-naked body of a man lying bleeding in the street.
Also Read: Foreigners shot in mob justice incident
“Police were informed that the man had been chased and attacked by a group of people from the community. He sustained stab wounds to his back and head injuries. He was certified dead on the scene by the paramedics. Kagiso Police opened a murder case docket and launched an investigation into the matter,” said Sibiya.
However, it was not until Monday, 7 May that Kagiso Police received information that led to a successful arrest. There could be more arrests as police continue with investigations.
The suspect has been detained at Kagiso Police and will appear in court soon, on murder charges.
“Anyone who takes the law into his own hands and goes as far as killing another human being will face the full might of the law. We will continue educating our communities about mob justice, and discourage them from such behaviour,” said Colonel Mabuso, the acting station commander at the Kagiso Police Station.
Do you perhaps have more information pertaining to this story? Email us at krugersdorpnews@caxton.co.za or phone us on 011 955 1130.I
For free daily local news on the West Rand, also visit our sister websites:
Remember to visit our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages to let your voice be heard!
