What’s up at McDonald’s?
Mopani District Municipality (MDM), as the fire authority said the necessary documentation (a fire plan) for the premises had not been submitted which led to the Greater Tzaneen Municipality (GTM) not issuing an occupancy certificate, delaying the opening.
It was all systems go to open McDonald’s last week … until a fire plan, or the lack thereof threw a spanner in the wheels. The controversy surrounding the opening of the new McDonald’s franchise adjacent to the R71 next to the Sasol garage in Tzaneen, started when the Herald reported that the franchise will open its doors on Friday, July 15, as was the case at the time of going to print on Tuesday, July 12, and confirmed by the developer, Willemien Roettgers.
Also read: McDonald’s to open doors on Friday
But things are looking up as at the time of going to print on Tuesday, July 19, GTM said a meeting had been scheduled for Wednesday, July 20, with the developer, who in the meantime, according to Odas Ngobeni, spokesperson MDM, has submitted a fire plan.
“I can confirm that the developers met the minimum requirements and that the fire plans were processed yesterday (Monday). The approval and issuing of the occupancy certificate is the responsibility of the local municipality,” he said. GTM’s spokesperson, Neville Ndlala confirmed on Tuesday that they will be having a meeting on Wednesday, July 20.
“Once we have everything in order, we will issue the occupancy certificate,” he said. Roettgers told the Herald that she will confirm the opening date of McDonald’s once everything is in order. If indications from all sources are correct, residents might even be able to bite into their first locally prepared Happy Meal by the weekend!



